San Jose Super-Con 2007: Robotech Scoops

From Kevin of Harmony Gold, the company that owns the rights to the Robotech franchise:

Live-Action Robotech Movie A couple of weeks ago, Kevin received an unsolicited offer for the rights to the Robotech live-action movie. This isn’t the first offer he’s received. A Robotech film would easily cost $100M+, so a big Hollywood studio would need to bankroll it. Hollywood getting on board with the project is essentially contingent upon the Transformers movie doing well this summer. He more-or-less suggested that Transformers succeeding means that a Robotech movie gets made.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

CGI Robotech It’s “always a possibility.” It won’t be another Robotech 3000, which was booed off the screen at an anime festival in 1999.

The technology is there. There’s always a possibility in the future, but there’s no hard-core drive to do that right now.

Comic Books There’s a distinct possibility, but they’re “waiting for the right opportunity.”

There is a demand for comics, but comics are going through a suffering decline right now.

Video Games There will be some more video games, but rights are currently reverting from TDK to Harmony Gold.

There will be more video games in the future, I guarantee you.

The new Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles Anime Movie It was filmed in high-definition, and there will be a HD version released, but Harmony Gold is taking a wait-and-see approach to the battle between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

So, basically a lot of possibilities… but only one guarantee: more Robotech video games.

You might also like...

• nickolai June 4, 2007, 6:01 pm

I love Robotech. Grew up with it, and it was easily my favorite cartoon, more so than the adventures of Optimus, Lionnel, Duke, Matt Trakker and their respective ilk.

That said, I’d love for Hollywood to leave this one alone. I would hate, hate, HATE for Paul W.S. Anderson or one of his imitators to give this the AVP treatment. And I think that’s 10 times more likely than anything really worthwhile bring produced.

• nickolai June 4, 2007, 6:01 pm

More video games would be great though.

• Great White Snark June 4, 2007, 6:11 pm

Well put.

• Justy Ueki June 4, 2007, 6:20 pm

As a Robotech Podcaster (The RDF Underground) and a long time Robotech fan, I think I should bring this up.
    Everybody involved with Robotech at Harmony Gold has been saying that they’ll wait for the dust to settle in the HD-DVD v. Blu Ray battle before they release the HD version ever since they started screening Shadow Chronicles at film festivals last year.
    As for 3000, people booed a few minute trailer created by Netter Digital. That’s all the 3000 footage that exists, for better or for worse.

-Justy

• Great White Snark June 4, 2007, 6:35 pm

Justy, I try not to burden my readers with “facts”, if that’s what you’re trying to pass off.

I don’t really blame Harmony Gold for waiting for the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD contest to get settled… I imagine a lot of their sales come from the ‘long tail’, and there’s no point in committing to a format that might be obsoleted.

• Justy Ueki June 5, 2007, 2:19 pm

I know.
    I was just saying that that wasn’t really news.
    I also understand why they wouldn’t pick at this time simply due to the fact that unlike a major distributor, neither they, nor FUNimation, have the cash to produce both, and like most of the small distributors are going to wait until the dust is settled, neither wins, and all the HD content is delivered over the internet (at least I hope that’s what happens. please let that happen).
    And, if my post came off as negative, I do apologize, as I didn’t intend for it to come off that way.

-Justy

• Great White Snark June 5, 2007, 2:48 pm

Justy, I kid, I kid! It’s just that kind of blog. The “Snark” isn’t just a play on words.

Anyway, my response was probably a bit rough, in part due to my working with two hours of sleep. Woe is me.

Seriously, come back soon and set my facts straight again, if necessary. I promise not to be bitchy about it. Much.

• Paul June 5, 2007, 6:33 pm