Take the Nerd Test

For a long while now, I’ve been pretty liberal about swinging my sarcasm stick at unwitting and mostly-defenseless nerds. My (admittedly-flimsy) defense against charges of hypocrisy has been that I am much more geek than nerd. Today, I put that position to the test, and I’m glad to say that–while my confidence has been shaken, slightly–I have been affirmed. I am only “lightly nerdy”. A healthy 59% of the population enjoys graphing calculators more than I do.

I am nerdier than 41% of all people. Are you a nerd? Click here to find out!

Click on the score to take the test yourself. Let me know if you beat my score. You know… so I can feel better about myself and have someone to poke fun at.

UPDATE: Reader Nickolai pointed me to the THE NERD? GEEK? OR DORK? TEST. I wish he hadn’t. The results accuse me of being a “modern, cool nerd,” in spite of my geek score outweighing my nerd score (56% Nerd, 60% Geek, 13% Dork). Sigh. Stupid, broken tests! Oh, well… at least I’m not a dork.

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn’t use to be cool, but in the 90’s that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn’t quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and “geek is chic.” The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

• nickolai June 8, 2007, 8:52 am

I scored a 35, but I refuse to believe I am less nerdy than you. I’m sure my totally un-nerdtastic GPA in college pulled down my overall score.

• Great White Snark June 8, 2007, 10:48 am

I refuse to believe it, as well.

• Cindi June 8, 2007, 11:00 am

Wow. I scored 32. Nerd wannabe. It apparently means my nerdiness is “not nerdy, but definitely not hip.” Tell me something I don’t already know.

• Cindi June 8, 2007, 11:44 am

Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me. This new test ranks me Pure Nerd: 69 % Nerd, 17% Geek, 21% Dork. Can I really be more nerdy than GWS?

• Paul June 8, 2007, 1:56 pm

Holy crap, I got Joe Normal.

• Great White Snark June 8, 2007, 2:13 pm

Ok, it’s official. This test is all awry.

• Paul June 9, 2007, 4:22 pm

No no GWS, I believe I’ve joined the realm of “the normals”. Sorry, I’ve got to go off to some party… or something that normals do.

• Great White Snark June 9, 2007, 5:23 pm

Congratulations. Let me know what it’s like…

• nickolai June 10, 2007, 12:40 pm

That’s more like it: 65 % Nerd, 34% Geek, 34% Dork.

I take issue with the equal weightings to Geekhood and dorkiness though. I’m much more geek than dork (i hope).

• Dave June 11, 2007, 3:58 pm

wow. a 19. not nerdy at all. i’m in shock. i’d like to organize a conference call with every girl i went to school with from the ages of 9-15 and inform them of this fact.

• Great White Snark June 11, 2007, 4:44 pm

19? That’s barely on the scale. I’m surprised you’re able to interpret and understand half the things on this site.

Or. Maybe you can’t. Which is all-the-better for you.

• Tran August 30, 2007, 5:10 pm

i scored a 53
    omg im a nerd XD
    i thought im a nerd wannabe …..i thought wrong T_T

• Mina March 26, 2008, 8:52 pm

OMG I cant believe I got a High-Level Nerd… over 87 percent -depressed- I’ll be waiting for you to laugh at me…

• Alex May 9, 2009, 2:14 pm

Excuse me for posting on such an old entry. Catching up on the snarky humor I missed before I discovered GWS last year.

But I had to share. Probably shouldn’t.
    Ok, I took the dang test.
    Um, Supreme Nerd here. 91%.
    I would like to say the test is broken but my family agrees with those results.

The good news is that is cool to be a nerd now. When I was a kid, it was not. I was one of the pioneers proving it was cool so you youngsters can reap the benefit.

Unfortunately, I also have to point out that all the scores are low because the comparison is not to the general population, but to the people who took the test. Most likely highly skewed toward nerdiness.

The nerd/geek/dork test confirms it at
    74%/39%/35%
    I have to see what my husband scores. He is not as nerdy but he might be a music geek.

Alex