Gallery of Costumes from Comic-Con International 2007 – Part One

1. Look at these pictures.
  2. Multiply by one-thousand.
  3. Start to get an idea of what Comic-Con is like.
  4. Seek therapy after a taste of that mental image.

Superboy, Robin, and some other dude in spandex.

Spider-Man

Captain America

Robot Caveman

Batwoman

Some broad. Oh, and a nerd.

Anyone help me out here? Goth airline pilot and stewardess?

You get exactly one picture of a manga / anime costume.

G.I. Joes (according to the lady in the red leather, with whom I wasn’t about to argue).

Battlestar Gallactica

Two dudes playing ‘soldier’ a bit too enthusiastically for my taste.

Um. Gwar shout-out?

Patriotic Maid

V

Pretty sure this is G’Kar, a character from Babylon 5. You know… that show that’s one link above Star Trek in the geek TV food chain.

Wolverine

Jedi presides over the death of Robin, with Batman. (WTF?)

Two (bored) replicants from Blade Runner.

Booster Gold

Professor Xavier. (That’s a real wheelchair under there. Don’t worry, he can walk. I saw him get up to go to the bathroom.)

If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to Great White Snark by or by RSS.

• nickolai August 1, 2007, 11:17 am

Nice photos man! This is what I’ve been waiting for — pics of the costumed geeks I can simultaneously mock and envy.

• nickolai August 1, 2007, 11:17 am

So did your pregnant Padme costume work out alright in the end?

• Great White Snark August 1, 2007, 12:35 pm

Not really… people kept asking me what inspired my “bloated cross-dresser” costume. Oh, well.

• Cindi August 1, 2007, 10:03 pm

GWS, I dreamt last night that you had gained 40 pounds. No doubt it was the result of seeing these pictures.

• Cindi August 1, 2007, 10:04 pm

I mean, it was the result of *my* seeing these pictures. Your weight gain…well, apparently you really enjoyed the Mexican food in San Diego.

Great photos, btw. Looks like a good time. Much better than my weekend in Las Vegas, sitting in overly airconditioned conference rooms and suffering a slow death by slideware.

• Great White Snark August 1, 2007, 10:10 pm

You’re the second person I’ve talked to today that misspent time in Vegas this weekend.

FYI, I’m totally going into plus-size modeling.

• Cindi August 1, 2007, 10:19 pm

I won $5 on an airport slot machine, so the weekend wasn’t a total loss.

P.S. Did you know that the slot machines in Vegas don’t take COINS anymore? WTF?

P.P.S. My husband pointed out that you will now have to update your picture on all those Internet dating sites. Truth in advertising and all.

• Great White Snark August 1, 2007, 10:26 pm

Re: P.S. WTF, indeed!

Re: P.P.S. The only internet dating site I need is big-geeks-need-love.com.

• Brian Pate August 2, 2007, 6:04 am

The middle guy in the top photo is DC character Adam Strange. The guy in the “G.I. Joes” photo is another DC character…Blackhawk.

• Great White Snark August 2, 2007, 11:58 am

Thanks, Brian, you’re a gentleman and a scholar. I guess you pick up a thing or two running a site about comic book conventions.

Adam Strange would have stumped me for a while, but I knew the Blackhawk description wasn’t quite right.

• Kelson August 7, 2007, 10:01 am

The “patriotic maid” is the hero American Maid from The Tick (cartoon version). And I remember the woman in the “goth pilot and stewardess” pic was handing out CDs or DVDs labeled “Dr. Steel Propganda.”

• allen August 9, 2007, 7:05 am

The one titled “Um. Gwar shout-out?” is a Warlock from World of Warcraft.

• allen August 9, 2007, 7:08 am

The one titled “Um. Gwar shout-out?” is a Warlock from World of Warcraft, with tier 5 armor, seen here: http://www.peterdorsi.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/t5warlockcf7.jpg

• Great White Snark August 9, 2007, 12:06 pm

Thanks, Allen, I realized that after-the-fact, when I was looking at pictures from Blizzcon. In fact, it seems like quite a popular costume for those gaming geeks…

• Paul August 10, 2007, 9:05 am

The good/bad thing about running a geek related blog is that if you misidentify something, you’re bound to get a correction. hehe

• Ang January 26, 2008, 10:17 pm

I swear I thought that “manga” guy was Christopher Walken!

• Sgt.Kato June 18, 2008, 5:11 pm

The “goth Airline Pilot” is actually a TOY SOLDIER in DR.STEEL’S Army.

• UtopianPlayland July 28, 2008, 12:17 am

The “Goth airline pilot and stewardess” are representing Dr.Steels army of toy soldiers.
    Check it out, http://www.doctorsteel.com
    He WILL be World Emperor and has some cool music.

To a Utopian Playland.

• Jimmy July 28, 2008, 6:15 pm

Holy shit. Professor X = Best Costume Ever

• Enno September 16, 2008, 5:10 am

Why should we worry about someone that is in a wheelchair as long as nothing bad happens to that person?

• Arkos June 22, 2010, 1:07 am

waa Kato wrote here! Doctor Steel for world Emperor!!\o/

• Cassandra January 21, 2011, 4:20 pm

The woman in black and white fur and feathers is Winnowill from ElfQuest.