Hot-Headed Zombie Ruins ZombieCon 07 Fun for Great White Snark Readers

Sad news, loyal readers! You remember that gallery of photos from ZombieCon ’07 that I posted, yesterday? The supposed copyright owner of some of those images from ZombieCon has, um, requested(?) that I take down those images, and I have appropriately complied. Here’s the content of their official Digital Millennium Copyright Act notice, crafted by the very finest of intellectual property attorneys:

you’re an idiot.

it was all in good humour.
you should just come along next time if you think you could have made it so much better.
oh no wait, that’s right.
it’s by invite only and i guess us “hipsters” are too cool to extend a welcome to the likes of you.

and since you want to see everything so seriously, Sir Humourless, take down our photos before you are sued for copyright infringement, you giant stick-in-the-mud.

Oh, where to start. First, obviously I have misjudged at least this one participant in ZombieCon. As demonstrated by the (double!) use of “humour,” this person is clearly not a hipster, but rather a pretentious English person. Or perhaps merely an American who has taken on the pretentious affects of an English person? Well, then. Since you failed to properly identify yourself, pretentious pseudo-English person, I’ll address you as “Madonna.”

Madonna, I hope that once you’ve let go of your Righteously Indignant Rage, you see the irony in your handsomely-crafted letter. If not, I can only assume that whoever taught you the high art of sarcasm neglected to introduce you to the nuanced concept of ‘tongue in cheek.’ Otherwise, you might have recognized the tone of my post on ZombieCon not as a “serious” attack, but as satire. Did you really think I was put off by all of the un-zombie-like behavior? Oh my, Madonna. Talk about humourless!

By the by, Madonna… unlike several of the other blogs that cited ZombieCon, I used low-rez versions of the pictures and linked back to the original owners’ pages on Flickr. (I thought you pseudo-Brits appreciated manners…?) But good luck with your lawsuit. (Giggle.) I’m sure I should expect to be served any day now. I’ll be waiting patiently by the door with my complete lack of urge to act like a pretentious English person with a poor sense humor.

But let’s forget for a second about the richness of life you fail to enjoy thanks to your unfortunate obsession with missing the point. Let’s think about what you’ve done for your friends at ZombieCon. A gathering of people doing something creative and genuinely in the spirit of fun has been tarnished by some uptight, petty toolbox with a lack of self-awareness. Yes, Madonna, I mean you. I’m sure your comrades must be proud to have you as a representative. (That was sarcasm, Madonna. I threw that in there just for you.)

On the other hand, you have inspired the subject of my next post: Self-Sabotaging Moves in Otherwise Cool Geek Events. The glass remains half-full!

*** UPDATE ***: I went through the exercise of asking the originators of the photos in question for permission to use those images. (Which I damn well should have done in the first place.) And, guess what? Gamma Blog, Justin and Gail, and lucidia were super-cool about agreeing to let me use the pics. So… the original post is back up, and Madonna is now officially-certified as an Angry Robo-Douchewad. Congrats, Madonna, on your accomplishment!

• Paul October 23, 2007, 3:41 pm

I’d keep them up until an actual lawyer contacted me.

• Great White Snark October 23, 2007, 4:00 pm

Nah, I have no problem answering the ‘request’ of a copyright holder. I’d rather make my point by ridiculing the requester. ;)

• Stephen October 23, 2007, 5:45 pm

Why, oh why, must some jack-hole wannabe Geeks ruin it for the rest of us? I used to be such an admirer of the mass zombie gathering, even if 90% of the make-up was weak sauce. Just the idea always struck my fancy. But now… now I must hate them with every fiber of my zombie loving being! It’s seriously an “invitation only” event? Are you effin’ kidding me? So there are cliques of fake zombies now? Like, there are some fake zombies running around that just aren’t cool enough for some OTHER fake zombies that are running around? Ugh… what a jack-hole.

• Great White Snark October 23, 2007, 6:26 pm

Stephen, you and I both know that a zombie bite is never “by invitation only.” But thankfully I don’t think this one raging jack-tard typifies the spirit of most zombie flash mobs.

Take, for example, this past Sunday’s Toronto Zombie Walk (as pointed out to me by a friend). This open-for-all event attracted over 1,000 participants, inspired some real creativity, produced a lot of sweet photos, and created genuine mirth for participants and spectators, alike.

Here’s to brain-eaters that get it.

• Shithead October 23, 2007, 10:38 pm

Simply put: what a dick.

Is it illegal to publish the name and email address of an asshole of this magnitude?

• Great White Snark October 23, 2007, 10:41 pm

I don’t know, but it’d certainly be unnecessarily vindictive. I’d rather “flog” him in a public forum. That seems to be going well, so far.

• allaboutduncan October 24, 2007, 4:21 am

If the photos were on Flickr for public viewing, unless they are made private, they’re free for linking. Flickr even gives you the code for the links. Madonna just wanted to show off.

• paul October 24, 2007, 7:54 am

Wow, other people besides me read this blog?! Who knew!? j/k GWS. Funny how this has brought people out though.

• disappointed zombie October 24, 2007, 8:33 am

I’d like to weigh in as someone who attended this year’s Zombiecon. It was my first year. I saw a blurb about the event online and RSVPed through Zombiecon’s website – it wasn’t invitation only, but once I got there I realized it might as well have been. None of the “regulars” were terribly friendly, at least not to me. It felt like I’d walked into a private hippie drum circle with, I don’t know, one of those double-neck metal guitars? I didn’t stay for the whole event because I felt like I was disturbing a private party. I’m not certain why they’d open it up to just anyone if they didn’t want people who HADN’T been to Burning Man there. I’m not terribly surprised you got such an ill-“humoured” message from a participant, the pretension (or does Madonna spell it “preetenzione”?) and self-righteousness seemed rather strong in this bunch. While I respect the political intentions of pointing out the zombie-like qualities of our country’s consumer culture, I’m not sure if being sour and defensive gets across ANY point (outside of “NO, we’re not just self-important, huffy drama dorks starving for attention, WE’RE BLOWING YOUR PETTY LITTLE MINDS, people, so STOP LAUGHING!”). In conclusion, screw that, next year I’m going to the Zombie Bar Crawl instead.

• Great White Snark October 24, 2007, 8:40 am

disappointed zombie: Thanks for your comment… you paint quite a vivid picture. It’s too bad those bad apples had to sour the wholesome, good fun of eating brains with their ridiculous sanctimoniousness. We’re quite familiar with that brand of bullshit here in San Francisco.

If they’re really committed to making a statement about consumerism, they should go live on a commune. A pseudo-English commune.

• Cindi October 24, 2007, 9:34 am

You have got to be kidding me. The tone of your ZombieCon post was well nigh fawning (for you, that is). I’m sorry this happened because I really enjoyed the pictures, and though it was an event I would never take part in myself, gave silent kudos to the participants.

• nickolai October 24, 2007, 11:30 am

heh. This is some good entertainment! I loved the zombie pics from yesterday, but this post trumps it for giggle value.

Who knew zombies could be so uptight? Is it just British zombies?

“Sir Humourless” — classic.

• accented hipster October 24, 2007, 8:28 pm

My favorite blog weighed in on the “Madonna” issue last year. Thought you might enjoy checking it out. Right-o, guv’na. Ta!

• Great White Snark October 24, 2007, 8:38 pm

It’s my pleasure to provide link-love to any blog entry entitled, “hipsters with fake british accents: a plague upon humanity.”