Reader Poll – Do you care about the Speed Racer movie?

There was a full-fledged fervor spreading around the blogosphere late tonight thanks to the online release of the trailer for the upcoming, live-action Speed Racer film. Lots of entertainment blogs showing post titles with all caps and exclamation points and such.

It’s Speed Racer, people. A property I didn’t even like when it was just a cartoon. It’s not like Jesus finally made an appearance just to tell the world that he’s decided that only Canadians will be Saved in the coming Apocalypse.

So why the tizziness? Well, because it’s a Wachowski Brothers film. Eight years later, they’re still riding the wave of goodwill that is The Matrix. Sure, that was one hell of a film, but shouldn’t we be taking all subsequent projects on their own merits?

In that spirit… for your viewing and appraisal, I present the Speed Racer trailer:

(RSS readers and e-mail subscribers, you’ll have to visit the post to see the video.)

• Nathan D December 7, 2007, 10:32 am

Yes, but there is always that hope for redemption — I mean, why do you think we kept going for all three of the star wars prequels — it was that small but potent hope that this time, this time, this time it would be like we wanted it to be. But, effects fetishism combined with a media property that, let’s face it, wasn’t exactly rich with deep character narratives to begin with could spell yet another eye candy moment — a cheap but shiny eye candy moment that titillates without satisfying.

• Shithead December 7, 2007, 11:07 am

Watching this made me throw up in my mouth a little and I had to swallow it because I’m at work.

Thanks for introducing this to me GWS!

• lizard December 7, 2007, 4:57 pm

shiny things! monkeys! yay!

right, what were we talking about?

• AntiBarbie December 8, 2007, 8:27 am

I hated the cartoon so no, I don’t want to see the movie. With all the cartoons that have come to the big screen I have to ask, Why hasn’t Hollywood done the ThunderCats yet? That was a kick arse cartoon full of action and would translate well onto the big screen.

Stupid screenwriters make my movie already, dang nabit!

• Karen December 8, 2007, 2:45 pm

What is with the ugly Speed Racer kid anyway? The only thing I really remember about the cartoon was that he was cute in a nauseating mama’s boy way. You’d think with all the languishing talentless eye-candy wandering around LA they could’ve found a Speed Racer who was cute. Many a crappy movie made it’s money back because one of the leads was cute.

• Great White Snark December 8, 2007, 5:06 pm

Nathan, c’mon. Speed Racer is no Star Wars.

AntiBarbie, there is–of course–a ThunderCats movie in production. You’d be challenged at this point to find an 80s cartoon that’s *not* getting the Hollywood treatment.

Karen, I personally find that actor delightful, but I’m probably (very) biased by his appearance in The Girl Next Door. Some of my goodwill for Elisha Cuthbert must have rubbed off on him.

• Greg December 13, 2007, 12:05 am

Shouldn’t that be, “Wachowski Siblings”?

• Great White Snark December 13, 2007, 12:07 am

Oh, Greg, that was all rumor and hearsay.

• Greg December 13, 2007, 11:24 am

Given that the primary source for the rumour-quashing is Fox News, maybe “Siblings” is a good hedge?

• Great White Snark December 13, 2007, 1:16 pm

Very fair point. A fair and balanced point.