After the Strike – When Your Favorite Geek TV Shows Will Return!

Great news! According to the internet tubes plugged directly into my ‘always on’ data-gathering veins, the writers’ strike is all but over! Thank the blessed, fuzzy tush of Yahweh.

Between that and the news that I’ll be seeing uber-cutie and geek crush Kristen Bell in a couple of weeks at WonderCon (according to the just-released WonderCon programming schedule), I’m practically giddy. The waves of gid are threatening to sweep me away.

I’ve managed to ride out the waves of frantic giggling just long enough to wrangle from TV Guide the expected return dates for all of our favorite (and less favored) geek television shows.

Will return to television in January of 2009.

Let’s hope Kiefer can keep himself out of jail that long.

30 Rock
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

Bionic Woman
The chances of this show’s returning to television rank up there with those of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

The Big Bang Theory
Expected to shoot 5 to 7 new episodes to air in April/May. Yawn.

This freshman show has already been renewed by NBC, and will return in the Fall.

Ghost Whisperer
“To be determined.”

I’ve determined this much: Who cares if and when it comes back.

Ain’t It Cool News has received word that we won’t see any new episodes until this Fall at the earliest.

I’m cool with that. I’m in no particular rush to be reminded of my utter disappointment with what was a perfectly good TV show in its first season.

The seven-episode second season premieres tomorrow (Tuesday) night on CBS. No word yet on a third season.

Six pre-strike episodes remain. Six additional episodes could air this season.

Sweet! It’d be nice to avoid the nasty, mid-season cliffhanger rumored to have been unintentionally created by the strike.

Six pre-strike episodes remain. No additional episodes expected this season. Which, I think you’ll agree, is for the best. This show is The Lameness, ya’ll.

Moonlight‘s showrunner has been replaced for the second(!) time to shoot four new episodes to begin airing on April 11. CBS hasn’t yet committed to a second season. Which is a step in the right direction.

The Office
Expected to shoot 5 to 10 new episodes to air in April/May.

In other news: April/May soon to be named Best Two-Month-Combo Ever.

Pushing Daisies
No new episodes until the Fall.

Three pre-strike episodes remain. The future of the show on television is otherwise undetermined.

Four pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 3 to 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Just let it be over already. Smallville is like a crack habit I can’t break, but without the benefit of getting high.

Two pre-strike episodes remain. Expected to shoot 3 to 5 additional episodes to air in April/May.

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Five pre-strike episodes remain. Fate of the show has yet to be determined.

If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.

• Brian Pate February 11, 2008, 9:21 am

Medium is a great show, one of my favorites.

• Great White Snark February 11, 2008, 1:27 pm

Fair enough, Brian.

• Nathan D February 11, 2008, 2:38 pm

yes, but which should I add to my netflix queue for the future?

• kevin February 21, 2008, 2:51 pm

what’s up with 24 not being aired until fall. i cant wait that long. and how about journey man

• Jessica February 21, 2008, 2:57 pm

What about Greys Anatomy? is it going to come back?

• Great White Snark February 21, 2008, 3:07 pm

Take a look around, Jessica. You’re asking the wrong blogger.

• Alaine February 21, 2008, 3:15 pm

I am with Jessica! Where’s my Grey’s???

• kasha February 21, 2008, 3:25 pm

Why are Reaper and The Terminator in trouble? I love- love- love Supernatural.

• Harry H. Ricker III February 21, 2008, 3:28 pm

What is status of Journeyman and Life. Two good NBC shows that you dont mention. Cancelled?

• kasha February 21, 2008, 3:36 pm

Because I don’t care. In this instance I just care about Terminator and Reaper.

• Great White Snark February 21, 2008, 3:39 pm

Kasha, I’m a fan of Reaper, too, but apparently ratings have not been that strong. It’s on the bubble.

Same problem with The Terminator… huge ratings for the first show (18 million people tuned in), but viewership has been dropping precipitously. It’s definitely at risk of not returning for season two, but nothing’s definitive yet.

Harry, unfortunately it’s old news that Journeyman was not renewed for season two. You can read more details about fans’ efforts to save the show in this post:

I do have some good news for you, though. While Life doesn’t fit into this list because it’s not a “geek” TV show, it has been renewed for season two. So you’ll see it in the Fall. (I’m a fan, too.)

• ROJA February 21, 2008, 4:01 pm

What about the show “Samantha Who” and “Journey Man”? Are they coming back?

• Great White Snark February 21, 2008, 4:10 pm

Roja, Samantha Who isn’t a geek (i.e., fantasy or sci-fi) show and isn’t covered by this blog. See the comments above for Journeyman.

• WC you later February 21, 2008, 4:34 pm

Cancelling Journeyman and keeping medium is like getting rid of Cheerios in favor of cookie crisp! Journeyman was a really great show that had a lot of potential. I guess the premise and content was over the heads of many Americans who have managed to keep Survivor on the air for 16 seasons! Oh well when you deal with idiots you end up with junk.

• Great White Snark February 21, 2008, 4:51 pm

I don’t think you’re alone in your feelings, “WC.” There was a pretty substantial movement to save Journeyman by the show’s fans. Check out the link in comment 11.

• kasha February 21, 2008, 5:30 pm

What about Gossip Girl? WIll it return soon? XOXO.

• Great White Snark February 21, 2008, 5:48 pm

Kasha, the only reason I know is because of the involvement of geek icon Kristen Bell. “Expected to shoot 5 new episodes to begin airing on April 21.” No word on season two.

• April February 22, 2008, 9:40 pm

Desprate Houswives anyone?

• Jimmy B. March 1, 2008, 1:30 am

That sucks about Journeyman! Why!?! why do they always do that to the shows I love but the ones I could care less about stay on like… forever! It’s a vast network wide conspiracy against me… I just know it! Crap “reality” shows go on with no end but the shows that really make you think and are at the same time entertaining are yanked. At least a lot are(Still sore over Firefly and the like… I know, I have to get over it.) It all comes down to money… if it’s cheep to make and brings in the cash they milk every drop from that sorry cow.
    And why isn’t Clark in the glasses disguise and flyin’ around in the Supes suit by now?!? Just thought I’d throw that out there. Peace fellow geeks and geekettes.