Batman Birthday Cake [Geeky Cake]

Cake artisan Jeff of the San Francisco Bay Area’s Fabino offers this week’s cake, a carefully-selected shout-out to this upcoming weekend’s coverage of WonderCon on Great White Snark! Stay tuned!

(Wait… did you catch that? That was a plug. I didn’t want you to miss it, since I couldn’t figure out how to highlight it with a digital glitter pen. Ok. On with the cake.)

Batman birthday cake

Buttercream icing covered this two-tiered vanilla confection. Jeff made the Batarang adornments out of sugar cookies and crafted the utility belt out of rolled fondant

The batman action figure on top is… a batman action figure. I usually try to have a little something extra on kids’ cakes – a small toy or something that they can keep after the cake is eaten.

Replace “kids” with “30-year-old toy-collecting geeks,” and you’re speaking the language of a good number of readers of this blog, Jeff.

Jeff created the Batman cake for the 6th birthday of a pair of twins: a little boy and a little girl. Based on the themes that the family requested, here are the proposals that Jeff sketched out before he started baking:

Batman cake sketchBatman cake sketch

And for the little girl:

Princess cake sketchPrincess cake sketch

Look at that. If these cakes were robots, the Batman cake would be a Terminator and the princess cake would be an animatronic Chuck E. Cheese. And you know how that would end. With Chuck in traction, slurping down applesauce and other soft foods in a home for disabled kids show performers.

Thanks to Jeff for the pictures, the sketches, and the details. Click on the main photo above to visit the Flickr pool of Jeff’s portfolio of work.

Find Batman cake toppers on Ebay

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.

• Nathan D February 19, 2008, 11:41 pm

Seems only fair you’d also post photos of the “girl” cake. Oh, wait, I was presuming the Batman was for the boy — there I go again making assumptions.

• Nima February 20, 2008, 1:20 am

Your blog keeps making me hungry. :(

• Great White Snark February 20, 2008, 1:38 am

Even the cardboard cakes?

• nickolai February 20, 2008, 11:51 am

I want to wear that fondant utility belt and throw those cookie batarangs.

• Shithead February 20, 2008, 2:24 pm

Hrmph… I have to say I am disappointed with the inclusion of an action figure on top. If it were more like “the action figure on top is… dark chocolate fudge over a licorice skeleton” I would have been way more impressed. I can buy an action figure and put it on top of a cake myself.

• Nathan D February 20, 2008, 2:48 pm

Yeah, but Shithead, did you read the point of the action figure is to have something AFTER you are done eating the cake? A Cake Keepsake, if you will.

• Nima February 20, 2008, 3:17 pm

Isn’t the cake keepsake typically a bulging belly?

When are we going to see a Great White Snark cake? I think it’s about time, no?

• Nathan D February 20, 2008, 3:44 pm

Um, Nima — I think the clear answer is when we GWS fans get off our collective asses and pony up the coin to get it done. Could be a long wait.

• Great White Snark February 20, 2008, 4:35 pm

I like the way you’re thinking, Nathan. Please direct your attention to the PayPal buttons in the left sidebar.

Now that you mention it, though, maybe a GWS cake will be the next project I guilt my Mom into doing for me. (That never stops sounding kind of pathetic, does it?)

• WebDrops February 21, 2008, 6:04 am

Well the cakes look yummy and ofcourse a themed cake like this one… will leave the party guests thrilled… but i guess it is unfair to not post the pink cake pic…

• Rachel November 9, 2009, 5:32 am

Hya…all i can say is WOW. Do you sell batman Cakes, looking everywhere for one for my son and this topps them all…x