Reader Poll – Which freshman TV show would you most like to see cancelled?

When you hear about a “death,” it’s usually bad news. Except when you’re talking about the demise of a technology that’s been perpetuating a format war that generally makes life 37% more annoying for consumers. (Suck it, HD DVD!) Or when a half-assed plan to bring another beloved geek franchise to the big screen whithers on the vine. (I’m looking at you, Justice League movie.)

Or when Cheney tries to off another one of his hunting buddies.  Then, oh, how you can laugh and laugh in the face of Death.

Moonlight on CBS

Speaking of deaths (check out the chassis on that segue, people!), we’re starting to get indications of which freshman genre shows are finding themselves “on the bubble,” at risk of cancellation before their second seasons. Much like an expedited version of Darwinian selection, the writers’ strike hastened the probable end of some first-year shows that didn’t have a chance to find their audiences.

Or that just plain bionically sucked. Not that I’m pointing any fingers. At any moonlit shows in particular.

Obviously I’ll be glad when a couple of these stinkers in particular are taken out back and put out of our misery. But what say you?

• Nima February 19, 2008, 2:24 am

Every freakin’ sentence of this post is freakin’ genius. I actually laughed out loud a couple times, and only mostly drunk tonight. Well done.

• Great White Snark February 19, 2008, 2:30 am

Glad you enjoyed it, buddy. Which reminds me, I plan to formulate my next poll question when I’m only mostly drunk. Should be good.

And by good, I mean sloppy.

• Paul February 19, 2008, 11:20 am

You know, I would have said Terminator until last night’s show. It was pretty damn well done. As long as it’s more of a side thing that doesn’t fit in with the movies (and I think that’s how it’s being seen) then I’m okay with it’s continued existence.

• Great White Snark February 19, 2008, 12:55 pm

Paul, that’s funny, I had a, “Hey, this is actually getting good” moment during last night’s show, too. A little more intrigue beyond the usual run-and-gun.

• nickolai February 19, 2008, 7:47 pm

Hmmm. You guys make me almost feel sorry that I gave up on Terminator TV a few weeks ago.

But then I think, “Summer Glau” — then re-retch.

• Great White Snark February 19, 2008, 7:50 pm

How dare you, sir. That sort of Glau-directed vomiting won’t be tolerated around these parts.

• Sean February 19, 2008, 9:56 pm

Cavemen, hands down. The freakin’ commercials aren’t even funny. How did they expect to make a half-hour series out of it. It’s the same hubris that gives us SNL movies like Night at the Roxbury.

• Great White Snark February 19, 2008, 10:00 pm

Looks like most folks agree with you, Sean. But did you have to mention Night at the Roxbury in the same breath? Nickolai is retching again.

• Cindi February 19, 2008, 10:36 pm

I don’t have room on my TiVo for any of these shows. I’ve seen about 30 minutes of “Bionic Woman” (sadly, I’m old enough to remember the original series, which was much better than this humorless “Alias”-wannabe), and much less of “Terminator” whatever. So I really don’t care if any of them get cancelled, but I voted for “Cavemen” on principle.

• Great White Snark February 19, 2008, 10:42 pm

It’s nice to have principles. Nickolai, take note, what with your senseless abuse of Summer Glau’s good name.

• Paul February 20, 2008, 9:52 am

Summer Glau disturbs me as well. I just don’t see why people find her hot.

I also like Night at the Roxbury.

And Dune..

And Starship troopers….

• nickolai February 20, 2008, 11:33 am

GWS, I have principles. For instance: I don’t like actresses who creep me out.

btw, I think Paul and I are the same person. ST rocks…

• Sean February 20, 2008, 7:40 pm

Paul – you either have a drrrrryyyyy sense of humor or you’re a deeply disturbed individual…

• Great White Snark February 20, 2008, 10:10 pm

Oh, he’s serious. I shake my head in wonder, too, but rather than call names, let’s realize that we share common ground in our disdain for the Star Wars prequels.

• jenna May 8, 2008, 8:49 am

omg it so has to be bionic woman i loved michelle ryan in eastenders she was really good in it but i tried to get into this program but it was so bad my mum watched about 8 episodes and then give up cause she found it so boring