San Jose Super-Con 2008 Costumes Gallery

I paid dearly to bring you these photos from this weekend’s Super-Con comic book convention in San Jose, CA, people. Twenty-five bucks in gas money, five hours in a stuffy convention hall with hundreds of sweaty basement-dwellers, and an uncomfortable encounter with a germaphobic B-list celebrity at the sinks in a men’s room.

Not that I’m naming any B-list names or anything. I wouldn’t want to besmirch the reputation of anyone who might have played a young Boba Fett in the Star Wars prequels.

Jane Weidland
Costume contest Master of Ceremonies Jane Wiedlin of the Go Go’s and her two friends.

Scarlett Spider Costume
I wouldn’t try any web-swinging until the Scarlet Spider spider-senses some Jenny Craig.

The Riddler Costume
Riddle me this… is there some old dude stumbling around without his cane right now so that you could accessorize your costume?

Lady Death Costume
Nothing says “good time” like a cute girl with a name like “Lady Death.” Or “Ball Slicer.”

Rorschach Costume
Rorschach demonstrates how to throw a sloppy punch.

Bishop Costume
I guess it’s been a while since I picked up an X-Men book. I seem to recall Bishop being black.

Johnny Blaze Costume
I can’t remember what this kid was talking about, but let’s pretend it was how Nicolas Cage couldn’t have sucked any harder as Johnny “Ghost Rider” Blaze.

Speed Racer Costume
I just realized that Speed Racer totally dresses like a French dude from the 60s. Now I hate that cartoon even more.

The Punisher Costume
This guy in the awesome Punisher costume gets bonus points for cappin’ a bitch on his way out of the convention center.

I don’t really do manga or whatever, so I’ll have to take a guess at your name. Is it Princess Zoetrope Buttercream?

Indiana Jones Costume
Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Krystal Hamburgers.

I dub thee: Gozer Laserbeak the Barbarian.

Alien Costume
Dude spent a month making this costume by hand. It took me about a month to win Super Mario Brothers. Now who’s the real talent?

Alien Costume
“Here, kid, bite down on this, and what I’m about to do won’t hurt a bit.”

Check out more exclusive photos and videos from Super-Con 2008 on the GWS Facebook fan page.

Enjoy this post? Subscribing to Great White Snark by or by RSS.

• Mel Valentin May 19, 2008, 1:09 am

I hate to be obnoxious (ah, who am I kidding, I love being obnoxious), but, outside of the Alien-suited guy, these costumes are seriously lame. C’mon guys, put a little more effort into them. Don’t throw something together the morning of Super-Con. Try harder next time, please.

Oh, and Indy? Try using that “whip” to swing across a gorge and you’ll find yourself at the bottom of said gorge, lunch meat for some hungry crocodiles.

• allaboutduncan May 19, 2008, 5:42 am

With the exception of the Alien costume…

Worst costumes ever.

• Great White Snark May 19, 2008, 10:45 am

Ok, so it’s not the most impressive gallery of convention costumes I’ve ever posted, but don’t forget the power of my little camera to make any costume seem 23% more lame.

The Punisher one is actually pretty sweet.

• Nathan D May 19, 2008, 11:58 am

You have serious fat-people issues GWS. Or maybe it’s that I have serious fat-people issues that I am projecting onto your two fat jokes. Hmm.

And come on — you have now teased in two different formats about your “odd” conversation with young-Boba — spill some beans….

• nickolai May 19, 2008, 9:19 pm

I love amateur costuming! Or I should say I love making fun of it…is Bishop armed with a pair of super-soakers? Water in the future must be some seriously caustic sh*t.

• Paul May 23, 2008, 8:31 am

I love the lazy Naruto fan costumes that are shorts and a tshirt with the stupid head band.

• Mina May 23, 2008, 1:12 pm

Seriouly, someone needs a health plan that includes a diet… or maybe just to stop eating chips as they read their comics
    The Punisher costume and the Alien look the best, the rest just make me be embarrassed for them
    BTW,The Girl (I do hope it’s a girl) on the Pink Wig is supossed to be Sakura from Naruto. A 13 year old little girl… nwo what part is wrong there?

• ohnoez January 28, 2009, 9:55 am

god…..that’s just horrible!!! honestly, i’m just going to have to gorge my eyes out for looking at these picuteres! I mean, I love the whole idea of dressing up, but can’t you just dress up as some character you look like?* Seriously, this is a comicon NOT an animecon. The girl in the Sakura costume doesn’t even come close enough to look like her. She just looks like a lazy chick from Candycane Landy. Chouji suppose to be light skinned, and have a bit more clothing. and have more But I’m pretty sure he eats like him.