Incredible Hulk Wedding Cake – Geeky Curiosity of the Week

This week’s cake comes to you in honor of The Incredible Hulk film not sucking even half as much as it possibly could have. (Look for that quote on the box when the movie comes out on DVD.)

Ben and Kerri’s wedding cake “commemorates the first Halloween they spent together early in the relationship. He was painted green, as the Hulk. She was Wonder Woman.” At the wedding, photos from that Halloween night decorated the table around the cake.

Before the Cake Police get started in the comments about the non-cake elements crowning the third layer: This cake caught my notice not for its artistry, or even for its boldness. Yes, arguably, it’s an aesthetically interesting cake with a bold Hulk-green look, but it pales on both counts when compared to something like the Jabba wedding cake.

No, I want to give props to this cake as part of Ben and Kerri’s overall commitment to a geeky superhero theme in their wedding. The Hulk-green tone didn’t just make it onto the cake and the place settings. Ben sported a green tie, and Kerri wore a green sash around her wedding dress.

That’s got to be the Hulkiest wedding, ever… which could only have been made more perfect by Ben slipping one of those giant, foam Hulk hands onto Kerry in lieu of a wedding band.

Regarding the flavor of the cake, Eric–one of their wedding guests who is currently working towards his PhD in Really Useful Information–told me, “I don’t remember the flavor of the cake. I just remember thinking it was good.”

If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to Great White Snark by or by RSS. It’s free.

• Nima June 18, 2008, 12:18 am

That cake looks like it causes cancer. Of the balls. Kinda like marriage, I guess.

• Shithead June 18, 2008, 10:03 am

Is the internet out of good geek cakes or something? I won’t even comment on the non-edible elements in this one – frankly, it doesn’t deserve a seat at the table – doesn’t deserve mention in the same sentence as the jabba cake. Give me some green food coloring and a trip to toys r us and I could make this. And I’d get a non-midget hulk too.

• Paul June 18, 2008, 10:48 am

I seriously doubt you could make a wedding cake like that and if you could then you should be charging people hundreds of dollars for wedding cakes.

What I enjoy about it is that it is a pro cake with a bit of nerd flavor, much as my own was. The “non-edible” part is called a cake topper, which isn’t supposed to edible in the first place. Is there some rule now that a wedding cake has to be 100% edible?

• Shithead June 18, 2008, 10:52 am

If you love that cake so much why don’t you marry it? If you decide you want to you can order one from me, the cost is $700.

And yes, the cake has to be 100% edible. It is rule #1 of my cake judging rules.

• Great White Snark June 18, 2008, 10:57 am

“Cakes by Shithead only $700.”

Has a nice ring to it.

• Great White Snark June 18, 2008, 11:03 am

By the way, can’t we talk about the real issue at hand, which is gamma radiation-induced ball cancer?

• Nathan D June 19, 2008, 10:20 am

As one of the “you need to be able to eat it for it to be a ‘cake'” crowd, I will formally declare that characters on top need not be edible — and anyone who says they need to be is just plain, well, a shithead. I believe this whole thing started when your “cake of the week” was basically a bunch of cardboard with candy glued to it.

That this was a real wedding cake shows serious commitment clearly worthy of “geek curiosity” status.

• patrick June 19, 2008, 1:55 pm

green vanilla?

• Shithead June 19, 2008, 2:03 pm

WTF. I don’t get it. The cake has green icing. That’s it. Make the icing brown, or white, and it’s and entirely pedestrian cake. And screw toys r ‘ us – you could probably get these characters at Walgreens.

So $#&* this and ^&#!(* you people. I am out of the wedding cake business for good.

• Nathan D June 19, 2008, 2:35 pm

Man, Shithead, you must be having a really bad day — we clearly will not like you when you get angry.

Don’t you see that the having a cake like this at a wedding deserves some geek respect, regardless of the inherent ornateness?

Plus, there’s the whole “pearls” effect and that candy-stripe lookin’ thing on each layer. And maybe it was really moist and delicious.

• Nima June 19, 2008, 2:51 pm

All this arguing over the eatability of the cake? Am I the only one totally freaked out about the Hulk boning Wonder Woman?

“Rowr! Hulk thinks magic lasso is sexy. Hulk like tapping dat ass. Rowr!”

Weird, right?

• nickolai June 19, 2008, 3:28 pm

This cake isn’t my favorite in design, but I have great respect for anyone who so deeply loves something (anything) that they will design the biggest day of their lives around it.

I love brownie bites. Like, LOVE them. But I’ll never have a brownie bite-themed wedding.

• Nathan D June 19, 2008, 3:31 pm

Nima, actually, no, it’s not that odd.

But, maybe that says more about my worldview than about the intrinsic weirdness of the imagery.

• Paul June 20, 2008, 1:20 pm

What’s funny is I get the feeling that the people that got married aren’t HUGE hulk or Wonder Woman fans. The real deal is that they wanted something special to remind them of a good time in their relationship or whatever so they got a real wedding cake and decorated it to that end. They weren’t thinking “OMG we need a cake in the shape of Hulk’s head”, they went the classy route for a wedding.

Again, this is just like my wedding cake which was a real wedding cake with a Star Wars topper. I didn’t feel the need to spend thousands on a cake in the shape of Slave Leia only to have it cut up and eaten.

So is this geeky? Yeah, but only mildly so compared to some of the other things featured on this blog yet it’s a wedding cake in the traditional sense of the word so of course the topper isn’t going to be edible.