The Costumed Kids of Comic-Con – Geeky Curiosity of the Week

Comic book geeks are much like fringe cultists in that they start indoctrinating children as early as possible. Which, whether you’re the child of a geek or of a cultist, usually involves learning “scripture” and wearing funny little outfits.

Such was the case with the costumed children I found at the 2008 San Diego Comic-Con.

Batman and Robin Childrens Costume
I swear to god, anyone who puts on that mask looks exactly like Adam West. Zsa Zsa Gabor could have played that role.

Naruto Childrens Costume
This little girl was so sweet. I think I was the first one to ask for her photograph that day. If you’re reading this, you rock. I don’t care that your costume is something Naruto-ish. Final Fantasy-ish. Whatever.

Batgirl Childrens Costume
This sweet little girl wasn’t posing for the camera. We engaged in a brief–but heated–bout of fisticuffs. I’m not proud, but I think she’ll think twice from now on about challenging a grown man to a fight.

Hellboy Childrens Costume
I’m not feeling the passion from Hell-Lad. Looks like he’s just going through the motions. Believe me, kid, Comic-Con is as good as it’s gonna get if you’re into dressing up like superheroes.

Stormtrooper Childrens Costume
I love this one. It’s almost like a bobble-head doll. Body of a child and head of a full-grown adult.

Kids at Comic-Con
Me: “So what are you girls supposed to be?” Little girl: “Um, shot in the head.” Me: “Oh, right. Duh.”

Thor and Stormtrooper Childrens Costumes
Methinks Thor and this Stormtrooper have been sneaking a few too many Oreos.

Wonder Woman Childrens Costume
“Who are you, what the hell am I doing here, and what the f*#% am I wearing?”

Wolverine Childrens Costume
Hm, I’m not sensing a whole lot of feral rage from this Wolverine.

Jedi Childrens Costume
“Score! Meeting the Ninja Turtles totally made up for my parents dressing me up like a Jedi from the Cherokee Nation.”

Stormtrooper Childrens Costumes
A Stormtrooper with a lightsaber? Oh, kids these days. No respect for canon.

She-Hulk Childrens Costume
I’ve been having a hard time placing what’s wrong with this picture, and I just realized I’ve been distracted by the hot mom and cute baby. Those are some half-assed She-Hulk costumes. And painting your baby? Really?

Supergirl Childrens Costume
Yeah, she just found out that Spongebob Squarepants got booted from the convention for indecent exposure. Yeah, I can’t believe it either, kid.

If you enjoyed this post, consider subscribing to Great White Snark by or by RSS. It’s free.

• Shithead July 30, 2008, 1:55 pm

It’s hard to complain after last week’s cake was so good. But these kids are not a cake.

• nickolai July 30, 2008, 3:50 pm

Love the look of mildly-pissed indifference on that samurai girl’s face. She looks about an inch away from unleashing a Ginsu-frenzy on you.

• Paul July 30, 2008, 5:18 pm

I’m glad there’s no cake. I’m on a diet.

• Paul July 30, 2008, 5:19 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to rip into you GWS:

That Storm Trooper is CLEARLY inspired by the Ralph McQuarrie concept art.

• Mina July 31, 2008, 12:28 pm

I will take a long sigh and explain you that the Naruto-ish character is actually a very stoic guy, so she was just playing that part. Oh, and it was Byakuga Kuchiki from Bleach.
    BTW Poor kids, and lucky shrinks they will have plenty of work in the future…

• Chris July 31, 2008, 12:52 pm

Call yourself a geek. ;)

The trooper with shield/lightsaber and the white Boba Fett are based on the original McQuarrie concept art. The Fett even made it as far as being made into a prototype costume.

• Great White Snark July 31, 2008, 12:54 pm

@Paul @Chris I know, I’m such a poser. I’m so quick to condemn these poor children that it doesn’t occur to me that they’re actually playing in some really badass, esoteric, geeky waters.

• Nathan D August 1, 2008, 11:14 am

Fat jokes: we expect more from you GWS.

Especially us fat people.

• Paul August 1, 2008, 5:04 pm

I love fat jokes, especially when they are directed at children. hah, fatties.

Anyway, I can’t imagine those kids thought up those prototype costume ideas for themselves, except maybe if they had the action figures. Maybe.

• Reyna October 12, 2008, 12:36 pm

Haha, the She Hulk and Baby Hulk are my daughter and I..and yes they were SOOO half assed..I figured she will hate me for some reason later anyway might as well give her a really good reason..and the painting was nontoxic..I am sure she will be fine..right?!? Haha! Next year she will be Yoda, and I will be Battle Scene Amidala.