Every once in a while, a Great White Snark reader will e-mail me a photo of their cool, geeky tattoo.
Which is totally great. But it does sort of make me wish I wrote a sardonic blog on ladies’ naughty bits instead of one on geek curiosities. That’s all I’m saying.
Recently I heard from my good buddy Stephen Lindsay–writer/creator extraordinaire of the hilarious and wonderfully-drawn Jesus Hates Zombies graphic novels and Ham & Eggs webcomics–who has some fresh ink on his left wrist. He’s sporting a tattoo of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense logo, as seen in the Hellboy comic books and movies.
This wasn’t Stephen’s first trip to the ink doctor.
I have 23 tattoo total. Started on my 18th birthday when I got Kermit the Frog on my right calf. In the 13 years since I’ve gotten:
- Dopey (left thigh)
- Spiderman (back of right left)
- The Pearl Jam “Alive” figure (right outer calf)
- A Samurai (left inner calf)
- A Native American Girl (left outer calf)
- A Ralph Steadman Hunter S. Thompson drawing from “Fear and Loathing…” (left ankle)
- A tribal on my stomach
- A Dreamcatcher (left chest)
- A Chinese Dragon (right chest)
- A huge Calvin & Hobbs on my back
- Snoopy flying his doghouse (right shoulder)
- A Male Angel (outer left forearm)
- A Female Angel (inner left forearm)
- A Claddagh inside a Clover with my parent’s initials around it (left bicep)
- A Goldfish (upper left bicep)
- Jimminie Cricket (inner right forearm)
- Betty Boop sitting in a Martini Glass (outr right forearm)
- The words “Ti Jean” with a feather pen (right wrist)
- The words “Carpe Diem” (upper back)
- Yoda (right bicep)
- A Golden Eagle (upper right bicep)
- The B.P.R.D Logo (left wrist)
I haven’t seen a motley collection of images like that since I last opened the photo album of my trip through adolescence. Although that photo album featured a few more cartoonishly awkward characters than Stephen’s tattoos do.
Do you have a geeky tattoo you’d like to show off? Contact me with a photo and description, and I’ll profile it in a post on this here blog. And I’ll even be gentle about it.
Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by – or by RSS.