Site Search

Sponsors

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

« | Main | »

Librarian Gets Tattoo of the Harry Potter Dewey Decimal Number – GWS Reader Ink

By Great White Snark | September 4, 2008

You’ve got to admire a woman who is so passionate about her life’s work that the whole world knows about it every time she wears a backless dress.

Meet GWS reader Becca, full-time librarian and aspiring first-ever human card catalog.

Demonstrating a geeky passion that could only be punctuated by rainbows and stars, Becca had the Dewey Decimal number (with the Cutter cataloging code, natch) for Harry Potter tattooed on her back.

I recently finished library school and decided to commemorate the experience with a tattoo that honors my favorite book series (and musical genre*) ever.

(* Check out www.wizrocklopedia.com if you aren’t familiar with Wizard Rock!)

And yes, she arranged for the tattoo to be colored in black and Slytherin green. No joke.

Cheers, Becca. Thanks for sharing this geeky tattoo and for reassuring us that the rise of the internet still hasn’t extinguished the beloved species known as the saucy librarian.

Find Harry Potter temporary tattoos on Ebay

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.
You may also like these stories:
  • Anime Harry Potter Tattoo. Oh, and Some Side-Boob. – Geeky Tattoo
  • Spoiled Kids Are My Favorite: Harry Potter Cake [Geeky Cake]
  • “Expecto Patronum” Harry Potter Tattoo – A Fancy Plea for a Baby Daddy
  • Topics: Tattoos | 20 Comments »

Tags: , , ,

20 Responses to “Librarian Gets Tattoo of the Harry Potter Dewey Decimal Number – GWS Reader Ink”

1. Wavatar Cafwen Says:
      September 4th, 2008 at 6:35 am

That is positively awesome – what a unique, if slightly crazy, way to show you’re a fan. You go girl! Really original idea.

2. Wavatar ReaderBeware Says:
      September 4th, 2008 at 7:43 am

Wow.
      I used to be really passionate about Goosebumps, but I’m really glad I don’t have “You’re in for a scare!” tattooed above my crotch now and for the rest of my life. Dumb.

3. Wavatar Lara Says:
      September 4th, 2008 at 8:04 am

That is *so* cool!

4. Wavatar Nathan D Says:
      September 4th, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Uh: http://www.modelmayhem.com/abracadavra

5. Wavatar Dubs Says:
      September 8th, 2008 at 4:07 am

The “7″ at the end has a mole in it!

Or a black peanut.

You decide.

6. Wavatar Tattooed Librarian « Books and More Books Says:
      September 8th, 2008 at 4:54 am

[...] recently finished her MLS degree and to mark the milestone, she had the Dewey Decimal Number (complete with the Cutter number) for [...]

7. Wavatar Luke Says:
      September 8th, 2008 at 7:40 am

Nice – but she should have got that mole removed first.

8. Wavatar Steve Says:
      September 9th, 2008 at 9:24 pm

High five
      =D

9. Wavatar Harry Potter tattoos Says:
      September 10th, 2008 at 1:56 pm

[...] – The Harry Potter Librarian Tattoo [...]

10. Wavatar LoveTrain Says:
      September 10th, 2008 at 6:05 pm

As Bugs Bunny would say,
      “What a maroon!”

11. Wavatar Call Me Tatoo! at DeClubz - The Weird and Bizarre Blog Says:
      September 10th, 2008 at 6:19 pm

[...] greatwhitesnark backless dress, becca, card catalog, dewey decimal number, full time, harry potter, librarian, [...]

12. Wavatar John Says:
      September 10th, 2008 at 9:47 pm

But she’s screwed if it changes with one of the many updates to the Dewey Decimal System.

13. Wavatar slow Says:
      September 11th, 2008 at 10:40 am

great article, would have been worth my time if the images loaded sometime this century

14. Wavatar jlopez2099 Says:
      January 27th, 2009 at 1:04 am

To the librarian with the freshest tattoo I have ever seen: You are my dream girl.

15. Wavatar Cool Librarian Tattoo « Spill it, sister! Says:
      July 23rd, 2009 at 9:10 am

[...] the story behind [...]

16. Wavatar John Says:
      August 11th, 2009 at 8:23 am

Dewey Decimal system is for non-fiction. Last I checked, Harry Potter is fiction. FAIL

17. Wavatar Genna Says:
      December 30th, 2009 at 8:36 am

Good to know that she knows the difference from fact and fiction

18. Wavatar Jess Says:
      January 26th, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Wish I could fast forward to her when she’s 50 and get her thoughts. She’ll probably have it lasered off by then. How embarrassing.

19. Wavatar Saucy Librarian Says:
      January 27th, 2010 at 9:08 am

Actually Dewey created his cataloging system as a way to manage every book in a library, fiction and non-fiction. If you take a cataloging course you’ll find that one can actually apply a myriad a Dewey numbers to any given item based on the various subjects and topics in the book. The single number that a book winds up being labeled with is up to the discretion of the cataloger based on the needs of the library and patron base.

Most libraries choose to only catalog he non-fiction collection under the Dewey system but if you go to your library you will still find plenty of fiction there anyway. Poetry and classic literature is often shelved there for example.

As far as changes to the system rendering my tattoo invalid, my view is that the system can change quite a bit but most libraries don’t have the time or funding to re-label and re-catalog their whole collection because of it. My tattoo will always be relevant to the time I got it: when I finished my master’s degree.

You don’t have to love it as much as I (still) do, but if you think I’m going to regret it or have It removed, I kindly disagree. :)

20. Wavatar suzanne Says:
      May 3rd, 2010 at 6:58 am

I admire people that are passionate about their lives, however tattooing a DD# hardly shows passion.
      Original idea, positively awesome, excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing.
      Inspiring awe: must have a dull life.
      Original: tattooing numbers on people goes back a long way.

Comments