Librarian Gets Tattoo of the Harry Potter Dewey Decimal Number – GWS Reader Ink

You’ve got to admire a woman who is so passionate about her life’s work that the whole world knows about it every time she wears a backless dress.

Meet GWS reader Becca, full-time librarian and aspiring first-ever human card catalog.

Demonstrating a geeky passion that could only be punctuated by rainbows and stars, Becca had the Dewey Decimal number (with the Cutter cataloging code, natch) for Harry Potter tattooed on her back.

I recently finished library school and decided to commemorate the experience with a tattoo that honors my favorite book series (and musical genre*) ever.

(* Check out www.wizrocklopedia.com if you aren’t familiar with Wizard Rock!)

And yes, she arranged for the tattoo to be colored in black and Slytherin green. No joke.

Cheers, Becca. Thanks for sharing this geeky tattoo and for reassuring us that the rise of the internet still hasn’t extinguished the beloved species known as the saucy librarian.

Find Harry Potter temporary tattoos on Ebay

You might also like...

• Cafwen September 4, 2008, 6:35 am

That is positively awesome – what a unique, if slightly crazy, way to show you’re a fan. You go girl! Really original idea.

• ReaderBeware September 4, 2008, 7:43 am

Wow.
    I used to be really passionate about Goosebumps, but I’m really glad I don’t have “You’re in for a scare!” tattooed above my crotch now and for the rest of my life. Dumb.

• Lara September 4, 2008, 8:04 am

That is *so* cool!

• Nathan D September 4, 2008, 9:31 pm
  • Dubs September 8, 2008, 4:07 am

The “7” at the end has a mole in it!

Or a black peanut.

You decide.

• Luke September 8, 2008, 7:40 am

Nice – but she should have got that mole removed first.

• Steve September 9, 2008, 9:24 pm

High five
    =D

• LoveTrain September 10, 2008, 6:05 pm

As Bugs Bunny would say,
    “What a maroon!”

• John September 10, 2008, 9:47 pm

But she’s screwed if it changes with one of the many updates to the Dewey Decimal System.

• slow September 11, 2008, 10:40 am

great article, would have been worth my time if the images loaded sometime this century

• jlopez2099 January 27, 2009, 1:04 am

To the librarian with the freshest tattoo I have ever seen: You are my dream girl.

• John August 11, 2009, 8:23 am

Dewey Decimal system is for non-fiction. Last I checked, Harry Potter is fiction. FAIL

• Genna December 30, 2009, 8:36 am

Good to know that she knows the difference from fact and fiction

• Jess January 26, 2010, 10:32 pm

Wish I could fast forward to her when she’s 50 and get her thoughts. She’ll probably have it lasered off by then. How embarrassing.

• Saucy Librarian January 27, 2010, 9:08 am

Actually Dewey created his cataloging system as a way to manage every book in a library, fiction and non-fiction. If you take a cataloging course you’ll find that one can actually apply a myriad a Dewey numbers to any given item based on the various subjects and topics in the book. The single number that a book winds up being labeled with is up to the discretion of the cataloger based on the needs of the library and patron base.

Most libraries choose to only catalog he non-fiction collection under the Dewey system but if you go to your library you will still find plenty of fiction there anyway. Poetry and classic literature is often shelved there for example.

As far as changes to the system rendering my tattoo invalid, my view is that the system can change quite a bit but most libraries don’t have the time or funding to re-label and re-catalog their whole collection because of it. My tattoo will always be relevant to the time I got it: when I finished my master’s degree.

You don’t have to love it as much as I (still) do, but if you think I’m going to regret it or have It removed, I kindly disagree. :)

• suzanne May 3, 2010, 6:58 am

I admire people that are passionate about their lives, however tattooing a DD# hardly shows passion.
    Original idea, positively awesome, excuse me while I roll on the floor laughing.
    Inspiring awe: must have a dull life.
    Original: tattooing numbers on people goes back a long way.