A $20,000 Homemade Iron Man Costume

I don’t want to let the state of the economy get me down.  So I do my best to scoff at it.  But what begins with haughty laughter at the latest reports of financial doom usually ends with me crying into a bowl of generic-brand, Honey Nut Happy-O’s from CostCo.

Norweigan John Kristiansen apparently feels no such pain. Or he’s inhaled a few too many fiberglass particles for his own good.

Homemade Iron Man Armor Costume

As described in this article from Popular Mechanics, John and his buddies in “TMP” set a goal to build a homemade replica of the armor from the Iron Man movie and complete the project before the flick hit theaters last summer.  And $20,000 later, they discovered that gobs of money can, in fact, make dreams come true.

Oh, and a little bit of talent for molding ABS plastic and fiberglass probably helped.  But, whatever.  Money is where it’s at, people. Cha-ching!

Anyway, things went so well for the project (which you can track from its inception in the Replica Prop Forums) that Paramount hired John to promote the Iron Man release in Europe.  (YouTube link.)

And just this week, John released photos of the first pieces of his newest costume replica project, the chrome-plated Iron Man Mark II.  Clearly, his feelings towards the economic crisis have evolved from “indifferent” to “completely oblivious.”

Is Norway where money comes from or something?  That would explain a lot, including why I’ve been having a hard time getting ahold of some.

Find Iron Man costumes on Ebay

• Krenn January 30, 2009, 5:10 am

Actually, Norway does have the highest standard of living in the world, and one of the highest GNP per capita.

Mostly, it’s because of oil – they’re the third-largest oil exporter; so it’s more accurate to say that Norway is where money goes…

• Great White Snark January 30, 2009, 10:11 am

I knew it!

• Jim January 30, 2009, 11:30 pm

Maybe he got more that $20,000 to tour with his Iron Man armor. Or maybe he has decided to ignore the Recession and not participate in it.

• Great White Snark January 30, 2009, 11:40 pm

@Jim: Yeah, I’m getting pretty bored with this whole recession thing. You can count me out, too.

• Matt October 29, 2009, 4:50 am

You should double check that $20,000.00 figure, I believe the real figure is $2000.00

• Great White Snark October 29, 2009, 10:12 am

Matt, check the original source in Popular Mechanics again, and remember: “reading is fundamental!”

• Matt October 29, 2009, 10:15 am

Well, the link I posted said $2000, and the suit is made of fiberglass, so sounds more reasonable than $20,000. But, I know, reasoning is a higher function. ;)

• Great White Snark October 29, 2009, 10:22 am

Hey, Matt, nope. The article from my friend Pete at /Film says that *one component* of the costume cost $1,500 – $2,000.

• Joe October 30, 2010, 9:25 am

Hey guys…just a little FYI.
    John/TMP sold a few custom made suits, you had to meet a few basic criteria – first of all, you had to be willing to cough up $6000…you had to be around 6′-6’2″ & 200-225/lbs, and TMP really is into trying to help kids, so they encouraged all of us who got a suit to ‘give back’ ..aka make a few guest appearances to local childrens hospitals and kid related events. Mine is ‘battled damaged’, and I am further customizing it with a ‘real life’ arc reactor replica, motorized helmet lift, and voice simulator …sometimes boys, we all just have to embrace the kid in all of us! hah