Site Search

Sponsors

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

« | Main | »

Comic-Con 2009 Costumes Gallery – Day 1, Part 1

By Great White Snark | July 24, 2009

From the sublime to the sexy to the ridiculous… and then to the even more ridiculous… the San Diego Comic-Con costumes have not disappointed, thus far.

Boba Fett Pimp Costume
You never see Star Trek costumes with the sort of panache that Pimp Vader and Pimp Boba Fett have.

Star Trek Costumes
No, instead, we get more reminders from the Trekkers of just how emphatically uncool they are. A little Pimp Spock action wouldn’t kill you, people!

Borg Costume
Borg. A.k.a., the only “cool” cache the Trek universe has other than Picard and the J.J. Abrams flick.

Alice in Wonderland Costume
Alice in Wonderland and The Mad Hatter. Suuuuuuper glad to be here.

Freddy Krueger Costume
Freddy Krueger costume. Also? Real knives.

Bucky Captain America Costumes
In case you were wondering, this guy is the new Captain America (formerly Bucky). More importantly, he is unabashedly wearing tight, black spandex in a public forum. Cheers.

Mr Miracle and Kitty Pryde Costumes
Mr. Miracle and Kitty Pryde costumes. The two characters least-likely to team-up in a DC/Marvel crossover event.

Comic-Con Costume
Some guy promoting some thing. Meh. But, hey! Glowy eyes!

Death Note Costume
That monster from Death Note whose name I’m too lazy to Google and too frail-minded to remember.

Warhammer 40,000 Costume
Warhammer 40,000 costume. Wearing boots that make him seven feet tall. Commitment!

Unemployed Skeletor Costume
I asked unemployed Skeletor if he had any special skills, and he said, “evil masterminding.” I guess there are worse skills to have in this economy.

Star Wars Jedi Costumes
Clone Trooper costumes are a dime a dozen, so these Sith get a mention for originality.

Cobra Trooper and Commander Costumes
I’m actually seeing more and more Cobra Commanders and troopers at these conventions, too, but as long as there is spandex stretched around a boob, I’ll be there to photograph it. (Hint to the Star Wars cosplayers: you could do worse than to have a Spandex Trooper. Just sayin’.)

Comic-Con Costume
Yeah. I don’t know.

Mad Max Costumes
Mad Max fans?

Catwoman Costume
Lots of Catwoman costumes this year, too.

Lando Calrissian Costume
Finally! It only took three years of going to Comic-Con for me to find a Lando Calrissian costume. And with a Colt 45-powered sense of humor, no less.

Cobra Baroness Costume
The Baroness. Very much in character. Respect.

Comic-Con Costume
Argh, I can’t quite place this guy. If you can remind me in the comments, I shall salute you with a wink and finger-gun combo.

Robin and Batgirl Costumes
I told Batgirl she was too happy to be in character, and Robin was all, “I told you so!”

Crimson Guard Costume
Now that is a Crimson Guardsman who gives not a shit.

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.
You may also like these stories:
  • Comic-Con 2009 Roundup – Costumes and Curiosities
  • Comic-Con 2008: Coverage of Curiosities
  • Big Comic-Con 2007 Roundup
  • Topics: Conventions and Events, Costumes | 21 Comments »

Tags: , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Comic-Con 2009 Costumes Gallery – Day 1, Part 1”

1. Wavatar Impsy Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:20 am

The huge hulking monster guy looks to be a Tank from Left 4 Dead. http://media.photobucket.com/image/left%204%20dead%20tank/left4dead411/screenshots/tank-face.jpg (Not my image)

Also, score, a Darth Nihlus! Mad props for KotOR costume! :)

2. Wavatar Pia Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:21 am

Very nice~!

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z167/Great_WhiteSnark/IMG_5624wtmk.jpg <it’s Master Roshi, from DBZ.

And the Death Note guy’s name is Ryuk.

3. Wavatar Lacrimae Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:24 am

Old guy is Son Goku’s teacher, Master Roshi (Dragonball)

4. Wavatar jeremy Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:31 am

the guy you cant place is the teacher guy from dragonball

5. Wavatar Great White Snark Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:34 am

Wow, quick with the responses. Thank you, good people, I wink at you and offer a simultaneous finger-gun salute.

6. Wavatar Nick Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 2:36 am

I’m pretty sure the guy with the beard is supposed to be the old dude from Dragon Ball Z. the old guy that lives on the island.

Yeah. I just searched it. He is Master Roshi.

7. Wavatar Malsain Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 7:26 am

The 2 girls in the middle of the Catwomen picture run http://abe-kroenen.livejournal.com/ – Gay action figure comic.

8. Wavatar Tara Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 7:30 am

Is that Lela from Futurama in with the Trekkies?

9. Wavatar Ben Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 8:01 am

The old guy looks like Dr. Irving Schlock from Sluggy Freelance

10. Wavatar Movie Meg Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hey, has anyone mentioned that it’s Master Roshi yet? ;)

Spock’s already a pimp, check it! (too lazy to photoshop a pimp hat/cane)

Thanks for sharing!

11. Wavatar Paul Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 8:33 am

That Tank costume is most impressive.

12. Wavatar nickolai Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 9:32 am

I think that’s the Mister Toshi guy from that inane japanese anime thing.

Awesome pics! Lando should stand with the other Star Wars pimps.

13. Wavatar RAMcakes Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 10:27 am

Since everyone else is pointing out Master Roshi, I figure I’ll point out the Death Note character. While I won’t receive the coveted wink and finger-gun, I get my own kudos.. or something..
      It’s Ryuk the Shinigami. He likes apples.

14. Wavatar Nathan D Says:
      July 24th, 2009 at 11:15 am

GWS, your cos-posts are the highlight of my year. Well, my blog reading for the year. Or, at least my geek blog reading for the year. Point is: epic.

15. Wavatar PrfktTear Says:
      July 25th, 2009 at 10:06 pm

Is that Sarah Palin at Comic Con dressed as Baroness?

16. Wavatar Shanyn Says:
      July 27th, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I just really want to spend a night on the town with Gangsta Lando and Fett the Pimp. For reals.

17. Wavatar Costumes from Comic-Con 2009 | My Disguises - We Love Costumes Says:
      July 28th, 2009 at 9:44 am

[…] visiting two big groups on Flickr: SDCC09 & SDCC2009, along with some great photos by GreatWhiteSnark – I realize there are just way too many great costume photos to post. What’s a costume […]

18. Wavatar That Costume Girl » Blog Archive » Comic Con’s Costumes Says:
      July 29th, 2009 at 4:31 am

[…] Head over to Great White Snark for a rundown of the weekend. His galleries are a must see: Day 1 Part 1 and Part 2; Day 2 Part 1 and Part […]

19. Wavatar Lando Says:
      July 29th, 2009 at 5:54 am

You know how many free beers that costume got me…you ain’t the only one that wanted to spend a night on the town with Lando

20. Wavatar Doriinatrix Says:
      July 30th, 2009 at 4:29 pm

The Tank costume is quite possibly the greatest costume I have ever seen….

21. Wavatar Audburrito Says:
      July 24th, 2010 at 11:18 am

The giant grey monster guy w/ his tongue sticking out is a Tank from the game Left 4 Dead.

Comments