Site Search

Sponsors

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

« | Main | »

The Superman Wedding Video Is So Awkward, It’s Awesome

By Great White Snark | December 2, 2009

Listen. I’m not one to discourage the enthusiasm of anyone who wants to dress in a spandex superhero costume to his own wedding. And then re-enact with his buddies a scene(ish) from Superman II right before cutting the cake.

But let’s just say that having watched this video all the way through, I now have two deep, lasting hand prints where I covered my face in cringe-barrassment.

Video: Superman Wedding Video (Superman Arrives at 2:30)

“Wow, thank you, Superman, for saving us from Zod. Now… it’s time to cut the cake.” HA! Between cringes, I keep hearing Jon Lovitz in my head, yelling, “ACTING!”

From the anonymous woman who sent me the video:

This is the wedding reception of my husbands best friend.  My husband is Lex Luthor.  The bride had no idea this was going to happen.

The bride had no idea? I guess there’s probably even dicier things to spring on her on her wedding day. You know… like an illegitimate baby from a previous, secret marriage. Stuff like that.

Ladies? Would love to get your two cents in the comments. Mostly because I’m short on pennies. But also ’cause I’m curious to hear your take.

Find Superman costumes on Ebay

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.
You may also like these stories:
  • EPIC NERD LOVE: Nerdy “Save the Date” Engagement Video
  • Thanks, 1975!: Terrible Superman: The Musical TV Special
  • Awkward Family Photo: LARPING STYLE! [Cosplay]
  • Topics: Costumes, Geeks, Videos | 26 Comments »

Tags: , , , , ,

26 Responses to “The Superman Wedding Video Is So Awkward, It’s Awesome”

1. Wavatar Rachel H Says:
      December 2nd, 2009 at 11:54 pm

As a lady, I would say mine would be shot if he did this. But he knows that so he would never even attempt it.

I’m going to assume/hope that the groom knew that the bride was going to be okay with this and that’s the only reason he actually did it. And I hope she didn’t kill him.

2. Wavatar Great White Snark Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 12:18 am

That’s one vote for summary execution.

3. Wavatar Nathan D Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 1:11 am

O.M.F.G.

O.M.F.G.

O.M.F.G.

O!M!F!G!!!!!!!!!

4. Wavatar Great White Snark Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 1:17 am

I will take that as a “OMFG” of horror, not delight.

(I am a master of the nuances of internets parlance.)

5. Wavatar Shannon Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 2:13 am

I would have been horrified! But at the point, you just have to laugh along. You can’t let something like that ruin the day, especially since it’s a bit of fun for the groom (who often doesn’t get much say in the wedding plans…for this exact reason!)

In the early planning stages of our wedding, my husband had similar ideas on a Star Wars theme. Thankfully I talked him out of it!

I did surprize him with Star Wars figurines on our rehearsal dinner brownies though! http://tinyurl.com/ycpf5gz

6. Wavatar Tiina Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 2:32 am

I really hope the bride is a Superman fan as well… Or at least has a really, REALLY great sense of humour.

And I have to say, thankfully, that I have no fear of this as my man is not big on Superman. Batman might be another story… But his best friend would not go for it, he’d talk him out of it. I think. Err, I think I better have a word.

7. Wavatar Jason Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 2:42 am

Eeeesh… cringe-barrassment indeed!

I’m a guy, but even I’d have to agree that if he knew the Bride would be cool with it (Major Supes Fan) then it’s all good, but if he was taking a stab in the dark and she really isn’t into the Man of Steel at all… Yikes!

And if she didn’t dig it, he’ll be spending most of his Honeymoon with internet pr0n, chafed palms and tears… lots and lots of tears!

8. Wavatar Christina W. Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 8:39 am

Yeah, he HAD to know that she’d be ok with it if she didn’t already know. If he’s THAT geeky to want to do all that, then she’d already know and be ok with it.
      Personally I’d be mortified if my husband did that….because he’s not 5 years old.

9. Wavatar Hannah Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 8:41 am

Well, I guess since it was only during the reception, and not during the actual ceremony, so he can be forgiven. And that kiss the bride gave him DOES sorta indicate that she forgave him. Though, if my own husband had attempted anything like this, especially without my knowledge or prior consent, he’d be getting served with divorce papers as soon as possible!

10. Wavatar Movie Meg Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 8:43 am

I would demand an annulment on the grounds of him being a closet DC. Marvel/DC marriages never work…

11. Wavatar W.D. Cat Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 10:09 am

Ohhhhh my giddy aunt.

12. Wavatar Christina W. Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 10:56 am

I forgot to mention. A little geek in a wedding is good. We were introduced at our reception to the Imperial March. This was just too much geek for me.

13. Wavatar Darth Cupcake Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 11:03 am

That was so hilariously stupid. AWESOME. I’m all about not taking weddings so freaking seriously. It’s supposed to be a CELEBRATION, so have some fun! And if you’re marrying a really huge geek, expect a bit of geekiness.

And if I ever bother to get married, I intend to work a bit of geekiness into it (c’mon, screaming “IT’S A TRAP!” right after the groom says “I do” isn’t nearly as entertaining if he knows it’s coming!) and I hope the man in my life would do the same.

If you can’t surprise each other and laugh at your own ridiculousness at your wedding, it’s gonna be a long marriage!

14. Wavatar Ajoohoo Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 11:08 am

Meh. This is a good sign. All too often us females completely pwn th wedding thing & th guy is left riding shotgun. So unfair. Think, to many manly men, things like mauve frilly tablecloths & organza ribbons are just as OMFG. But he does it. He loves you. He stfu and says “yes, dear”. Marriage based on that kinda antiquated relation is lame. Bless him for having that kinda faith & delight in his union. If she freaks, ppppfh. Prima donna.

15. Wavatar Ajoohoo Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 11:19 am

Also, if my man did Wolverine I may have just smeared him w icing, thrown him on th table and taken him like a rutting Vulcan. Or at least, give him a look letting him know that’s my intent. Shouldn’t frighten th kids like that…

16. Wavatar Movie Meg Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 11:20 am

@Ajoohoo – Amen, sister (on all counts)!

17. Wavatar The Daily Dairy: Calcium Fortified News And Junk Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 12:49 pm

[...] [via GreatWhiteShark] [...]

18. Wavatar Aelysium Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 1:13 pm

ha! I think that the bride had to have known what she was getting herself into. She knows who she’s marrying. I can totally imagine my husband doing something similar with a batman theme. I think that if this had happened to me, at first I would have been a little mortified, but I would have gotten over it pretty quickly. And it would be something fun and quirky to look back on later in life. How many people have a story like this to tell about their wedding reception?

19. Wavatar Wendy Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 1:34 pm

It was funny to watch but I would not have been so amused had I been the one in the expensive wedding gown. Since I’m not a huge fan of Supes, anyway, it would have been a really chilly bridal suite.

20. Wavatar Katie Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 1:40 pm

Heaven’s no!
      My first reaction would be to crawl under the table in embarrassment. I certainly wouldn’t just go kiss him after that, he’d have sit there and stew- after he changed back into his tux.

A little geeky is okay- our pastor (a close friend) is going to start the ceremony (after the procession) with the “Mwawage” bit from Princess Bride. Most of the guests will find it funny but it won’t offend our very traditional, conservative grandparents.
      And it wouldn’t have him parading around in Spandex- I *never* want to see him in spandex. Working backstage of a Cats production scared me for life.

(wouldn’t a child from a previous, albeit secret marriage technically be legitimate?)

21. Wavatar Great White Snark Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Katie, let’s not get caught up in technicalities when we’re all enjoying my jokes, shall we?

22. Wavatar Alexandra Says:
      December 3rd, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Weddings should be personal. More power to ‘im.
      Really, I just wanted to get in on this record breaking number of comments, GWS.

23. Wavatar Superman wedding video - Stephan Faris - Ground Up - True/Slant Says:
      December 4th, 2009 at 4:58 am

[...] Great White Snark, who, um, snarks: Let’s just say that having watched this video all the way through, I now have [...]

24. Wavatar Superman Wedding Surpise | My Disguises - We Love Costumes Says:
      December 4th, 2009 at 9:11 am

[...] [via Great White Snark] [...]

25. Wavatar “Kneel Before Zod! Then Kiss The Bride!” « Innocent Bystanders Says:
      December 4th, 2009 at 11:20 pm

[...] So, how does a couple top that? Well, they allow “Zod” to storm their wedding. This is the wedding reception of my husbands best friend. My husband is Lex Luthor. The bride had [...]

26. Wavatar G Says:
      December 9th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

You see, this is why I eloped. My wedding would have been worse…..much worse. Better costumes, worse acting, and fleeing guests.

Comments