Site Search

Sponsors

Arts & Entertainment Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory

« | Main | »

By Great White Snark | March 25, 2010

To all of you nerds and geeks who–like me–have been unfairly and inaccurately labeled “dorks,” only to then exhaustively explain the differences among the three to a more-than-skeptical offender, I say:

You’re welcome. This nerd/dork/geek/dweeb Venn diagram should save you a lot of time and frustration in the future.

Nerd Dork Geek Venn Diagram

To those of you who have been called “dweebs,” I say:

Stop hanging out with people from the 1950s.

Via Matthew at Sed Contra, who will see you at the intersection of Blogging and Things that Have Latin Names.

Find vintage geek glasses on Ebay

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.
You may also like these stories:
  • That’s Right: Comic Explains Difference Between Nerd, Geek, and Dork
  • Ha, Ha: Geeks and Nerds Venn Diagram
  • So the Mac ISN’T Perfect?: Operating Systems Venn Diagram
  • Topics: Geeks, Offbeat News | 133 Comments »

Tags:

133 Responses to “FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram”

1. Wavatar News Of The Day: Geeks Explained « United Monkee Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 8:04 am

[...] exploration is done, I think this should be the go-to explanation and usage from here on out. Via Great White Snark, originally from Sed [...]

2. Wavatar cam Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 10:45 am

that’s pretty cool. where’s the t-shirt?

3. Wavatar SweetJesus Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I want a poster. Now.

4. Wavatar clvrmnky Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Of course, there is always: http://catandgirl.com/?p=1341

5. Wavatar Anim8or Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Damn.. I always thought I was a nerd and now I find out I am a geek. Good to know.

6. Wavatar Donnyk Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:52 pm

hmm, I disagree.

First, I think there should be no dweeb.

a Dork is merely social ineptitude. There is no obsession.

It should just be:

Dork – Social ineptitude
      Nerd – Intelligence
      Geek – obsession

Of course, with this info a Venn diagrom doesn’t work, and Venn diagrams are really cool right now…

7. Wavatar I am a Nerd « Ancillary Adam Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

[...] get resembles one of a monkey solving a math problem.  Today I came across this blog post at Great White Snark (referenced by the folks at BoingBoing.net) that goes a long way to summing things up nicely in a [...]

8. Wavatar Nils Geylen Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 1:58 pm

So I’m a nerd after all.

/*retreats to lair*/

9. Wavatar Dr Rand Pink Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Venn Diagrams. I love graphic organizers. I dated a German girl in college that was the curator at a mathematical museum. Her nipples got hard when I brought up prime numbers.Eating Nerds as I post this babble.

10. Wavatar Venn Diagram of the Day: FYI. [gws.] Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

[...] [gws.] [...]

11. Wavatar billy bill Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 3:17 pm

So a disciplined athlete is a geek? After all, an athlete is intelligent and obsessed. This might work, but it really stretches the “geek” interpretation. Then again, to geek out is to obsess, but to do so in a non-stupid way.

Here’s a fun one: a 300-pound offensive tackle can be 1) intelligent (knowing a playbook and defensive formations is complex); 2) obsessed (weight-training, football, football); and 3) socially inept. So there you have it: the football player nerd! NEEEEEERRRRDDDDSSS!!! (Football player pummels himself.)

12. Wavatar george Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 3:21 pm

I think nerd and geek should be swapped.

13. Wavatar no_one Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Old Venn diagram is old.

14. Wavatar Monica Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Meh, I don’t think this is entirely right. It’s pretty close, though. Nerds are just people who love to learn. They may have great social skills and just get fired up about all things botany.

15. Wavatar Self-proclaimed geek Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

And the comments show just why you needed to post this diagram. I mean it was a joke but yet folks are going on about what shouldn’t be there and why it shouldn’t. Do we need to say it dweebs.

16. Wavatar Abraham Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I reject labels, no matter what. I am myself and no one else. FAIL.

17. Wavatar Dan Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 6:47 pm

@Bbilly bill – Is that so hard to comprehend? Why can’t someone be a geek for football or a football nerd? You only find it disagreeable because of the negative connotations associated with the terms in contrast with your idolization of athletes.

That being said, the classifications are all relative, as shown by the examples provided in other commenters. So to all, meanings of words are defined by usage. However people decided to use the words dictates their definition. That’s how Shakespeare could invent new words and that’s why dictionaries are constantly updated. So even if we could agree here, it’s only until common use decides otherwise. As for me, I’ll just enjoy the diagram.

18. Wavatar killermouse Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I’m a little bit intelligent, a little bit socially inept and a little bit obsessed, so am I a bit of a nerd, or a bit of a dweeby dorky geek, or dweeby geeky dork, or dorky geeky dweeb, or dorky dweeby geek, or geeky dweeby dork, or geeky dorky dweeb??? It’s all too confusing. I think I’m just me :-)

Who says “an athlete is intelligent”? Many of them make stupid mistakes. And who says they are “socially inept”? Many of them seem to have lots of friends. Some of them even seem to make stupid mistakes about who they socialise with.

:-)

19. Wavatar ron karlin Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I look far too much like a geek/dork/dweeb to deny it for a second. I could hate computers more than shit but it will always be assumed that I am a computer pro because I look THAT WAY.
      And what about sexual frustration, hatred and anger? If you do not know all of these things in a huge way you are not the genuine article. This graph is far too cutesy.

20. Wavatar Jo Says:
      March 26th, 2010 at 10:40 pm

The difference between Nerds and Geeks is that Nerds specialise and Geeks like diversity. If a Nerd has a favourite subject, they aim to make themselves the authority in it, whereas Geeks don’t take it that seriously – sure, its more serious than Average Person, but not Nerderious.

21. Wavatar DidcotMan Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 1:29 am

“exhaustively explain the differences among the three”

Umm, there are four in your diagram…

You’re welcome.

22. Wavatar Goose Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 5:22 am

Funny, but I’m not sure “dweeb” belongs. I’ve always viewed that overlap as “dork,” but that change would mess up the Venn diagram. This works: they should change “dweeb” to “dork” and “dork to “total dork.” No comment on where this comment would make me would fall on the diagram.

23. Wavatar Geek « richard cleaver Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 5:54 am

[...] Via. [...]

24. Wavatar === popurls.com === popular today Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 6:28 am

[...] – Gizmodo ######## ######### F.D.A. Says Millions Got Unapproved Nitroglycerin ######## ######### FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram ######## ######### For Years, Deaf Boys Tried to Tell of Priests Abuse – NYTimes.com ######## [...]

25. Wavatar Sense Us Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 8:08 am

[...] a lover of data / maps / infographics (slash, complete nerd), I applaud the government’s efforts at compiling data for maps and infographics. Without the [...]

26. Wavatar What about "Tool" Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 8:12 am

So I see that “tool” is not show here

27. Wavatar Kenoryn Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 9:36 am

This totally makes sense. If you say ‘nerd’ you might picture someone with tape on their glasses – right? But if someone launches into a detailed explanation of something obscure or complicated or gets inordinately passionate about something most people don’t care about, you call them a geek, or you say they’re ‘geeking out’. The guys who sit around playing Magic in the gaming store but are actually pretty dumb are just dorks. I don’t know about dweeb, though, since as you say no one says that anymore.

28. Wavatar NKNJ Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 10:45 am

I don’t care what any of you say… I still want the t-shirt!

29. Wavatar Diferença entre um Geek, um Nerd, um CDF e um Idiota | Quintinices Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 11:19 am

[...] Finalmente fizeram um diagrama para responder uma das maiores questões do mundo moderno: o que faz um geek, um nerd, um CDF e um idiota se diferenciarem? Quem deu a explicação foi o pessoal do White Shark. [...]

30. Wavatar Nerd, Geek and Dork Defined by Diagram « Anguished Repose Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

[...] Nerd, Geek and Dork Defined by Diagram This is why I love the internet. It is just a treasure trove of some of the most complex questions, to be found on our universe today…Such as this…Life long curiosity answered: [...]

31. Wavatar Diferencia entre Nerd, Dork y Geek explicado con un diagrama de Venn | Usuario Digital Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

[...] Great White Snark Artículos Relacionados:Boda Geek: Casándose en la Apple StoreLos Juegos Olímpicos Geek [...]

32. Wavatar Mycroft Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 1:37 pm

It just needs an arrow pointing to the center with the words, “You are here”

33. Wavatar ABC Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 4:48 pm

There needs to be an athleticism circle here too. I always thought I was to big and strong to be a nerd. I thought that made me a dork.

34. Wavatar Larry Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I thought my wife was a geek, but when I showed her the Venn diagram she couldn’t figure it out, so I guess her label now shifts to dweeb.

35. Wavatar Larry Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Oops…I meant dork. I can’t claim to be a nerd now.

36. Wavatar adelaide dancing Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 5:23 pm

very accurate, me thinks!

37. Wavatar Erik Shultz Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Genius! Geek!

38. Wavatar spiffy Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 9:19 pm

According to the diagram, I’m an “intelligence.”

(Just kidding. Only a nerd would say that.)

39. Wavatar Demystifing a Geek, a Nerd and a Dork « My Life, My Story – Gautam Says:
      March 27th, 2010 at 10:13 pm

[...] actually stumbled across the Venn diagram when one of my friends buzzed the link at Google Buzz. Do check it out if you would like to read the original [...]

40. Wavatar app geek Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 1:06 am

@NKNJ – yep, me too… maybe they could be personalised using Mycroft’s idea…

41. Wavatar McCollum Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 1:33 am

Speaking as a person from the 50s, it’s dumb ass or perhaps even dipshit but never dweeb. Doofus.

42. Wavatar @TreaclePie Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 3:30 am

Just the fact that we have clicked through to check where we are on the diagram says a whole lot.

However, I personally am delighted to have confirmation of my nerdiness, and embrace it. (I was worried I might actually be a dork, phew).

43. Wavatar indiegamesoup Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 4:30 am

I assume that “playing video games all the day long” goes in the social ineptitude zone. If so, then yes: gamers are definitely nerds.

44. Wavatar Zoe Paris Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 8:42 am

Nice to know they’ve dropped the requirement to bite the heads off chickens. Now I can relax and enjoy my geekness.

45. Wavatar S Henderson Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 9:32 am

I too would like a t-shirt / poster / other such irritating merchandise.

It’s interesting how obsession comes into all but dweeb, I certainly would not categorise a geek in obsession, but then again it depends on such perspectives, and maybe even the culture you’re originally tuned from.

46. Wavatar Phil Carter Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

This is a great ice breaker at any party. I don’t know how explanatory it is nor how accurate, but just explaining these terms with a Venn diagram is in itself geeky or nerdy or something. But it is an excellent attempt to chart the topology of the three traits. What a kick. I love everyone’s comments. I feel like we’re all at a party discussing it. How nerdy or geeky is that? I feel inspired to draw a diagram to explain the relationship between real life, virtual reality, dream states, and how they all overlap with obfuscation or memory loss. Where’s Woody Allen when you need him?

47. Wavatar Geeks, Nerds and Dorks Got to Love 'em | DesaraeV Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

[...] See the full image at Great White Snark. [...]

48. Wavatar The Pope Scandalizes Crazed Republicans Into Playing Linear Videogames « Into the Deep Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 12:25 pm

[...] I’m talking about various geeky/nerdy things, I recently found This Ven Diagram on GreatWhiteSnark.com. Isn’t that awesome? Now you can tell people what the difference between a Geek/Nerd/Dork/Dweeb [...]

49. Wavatar Kotaku Off-Topic: Yeah, I Dig ‘Em | Kotaku Australia Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

[...] commonalities among geeks, dorks, nerds and dweebs, or simply aren’t clear on them yourself, here’s a handy venn diagram to point you in the right [...]

50. Wavatar Marie Says:
      March 28th, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Nice timing. I actually wrong a blog entry describing the differences, as I know them, the middle of last week :) I’m a nerd, and proud of it!

51. Wavatar links for 2010-03-29 « Wild Webmink Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 5:09 am

[...] FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram Uncomfortably insightful… (tags: Geek Culture Humour visualisation) [...]

52. Wavatar Houston Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 5:46 am

What’s actually amazing is that people were getting…snarky… with each other in the comments. I’d say that that’s proof that they fit in either the dweeb, nerd, or dork sections! :P

53. Wavatar Auf einen Blick erklärt! | untergeek Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 7:48 am

[...] [greatwhiteshark.com] Von untergeek, Montag, 29. März 2010, 16:47 Uhr Kommentieren [...]

54. Wavatar Geeks and Nerds and Dweebs, Oh My! | The Blog of Rudy Amid Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 11:10 am

[...] Photo Credit: Great White Shark [...]

55. Wavatar Rayanne Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 11:41 am

Ok, you are my personal hero.

56. Wavatar Beez Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Look, just do the geeky thing, and call this a 0.2 beta release of the diagram…that should satisfy the naysayers…

57. Wavatar jMd Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Carajo, soy un nerd :P

58. Wavatar lkbarr Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I’m more interested in this place “things that have Latin names”. Where is this place and can I visit?

59. Wavatar chasingrhinos Says:
      March 29th, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Must have t-shirt (obsessive geek nature showing) and here I always thought I was a nerd. It’s nice to know that I am simply a geek.

60. Wavatar Michael Sears Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 6:44 am

So I am a nerd after all! But I enjoy it more than ever!

61. Wavatar Zai Lynch Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 8:50 am

@4: And there’s also http://909sickle.com/s/geeks-and-nerds/ :)
      Hooray for geeks ‘n nerds!

62. Wavatar Dan Zen Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 12:46 pm

bri lli ant

63. Wavatar It’s been a while « Geek Chef Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 1:03 pm

[...] have argued Nerd vs. Geek several times, this should help. Thanks to Great White Snark for the tie [...]

64. Wavatar Tuesday nerdy links Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

[...] I feel certain I’ve seen this before, but everyone on the interwebz is linking to it like it’s fresh — the nerd/geek/dork/dweeb venn diagram. [...]

65. Wavatar Geek Guy Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Much to my dismay, it turns out I’m more nerd and less geek than I thought I was.

66. Wavatar SweetonGeeks Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 8:13 pm

What about Spaz? I feel like it is a valid level of social disintegration that a geek/nerd may suffer from at any time.

67. Wavatar Helpful Taxonomy for Technophiles | Reading About Leading Says:
      March 30th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

[...] This is a fantastic diagram from Great White Snark: [...]

68. Wavatar Geek vs. Nerd – FIGHT! « Bitch Wants Tea Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 12:46 am

[...] the chaps over at greatwhitesnark.com have composed a pretty diagram to help clarify things between being a geek, nerd, dork or [...]

69. Wavatar FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram | Fibonacci Love Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 2:48 am

[...] by Shakir Hussain on Today under Uncategorized via greatwhitesnark.com [...]

70. Wavatar de.straba.us » Blog Archive » Nerd Dork e Geek Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 2:58 am

[...] source: http://www.greatwhitesnark.com/2010/03/25/difference-between-nerd-dork-and-geek-explained-in-a-venn-... [...]

71. Wavatar Quick Funny | David Mankellow Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 3:52 am

[...] saw this Venn diagram via twitter. It comes courtesy of the Great White Snark site. It made my laugh so I thought it might make you laugh [...]

72. Wavatar Tim Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 3:54 am

Venn Diagrams are so Nerdy / Geeky / Dorky / Dweeby.

73. Wavatar adchick Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 5:57 am

OMG. This is ME. Thanks for breaking it down. I must go find my white socks and blacks shoes now. HA!

74. Wavatar Mentifex Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 6:06 am

Res quae habent Latina numina sunt numerata et explicata ab Linnaeo. Tuum diagramma adumbrat varios modos vivendi in nostro moderno mundo. Quid amplius possum dicere? Mea obsessio est artificialis intellectus.

75. Wavatar Trendy Geek » La différence entre un geek, un NERD et un DORK Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 6:12 am

[...] Source [...]

76. Wavatar Social Skills for Geeks Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 6:30 am

Hmmm, I think geek and nerd should be swapped.

77. Wavatar Pete Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 6:50 am

I had an IT professor who would say: The difference between a geek and a nerd is a geek is MARKETABLE!

78. Wavatar Worth a Thousand Words (Plus the Speed of Light in Parsecs per Month, Times Pi, Divided by Planck’s Constant, to the ith Power…) Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 9:45 am

[...] Tim O’Reilly, on Twitter… To quote the site where he found it: To all of you nerds and geeks who — like me — have been unfairly and [...]

79. Wavatar Mike Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I have this on a pocket protector.

80. Wavatar Arnold Ziffle Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 3:12 pm

What’s wrong with hanging out with people from the 1950′s?

I was born in 1948. I wrote my first Fortran programs in 1965, in high school!

I play FPS games, online games, console games. I’m a consultant programming factory automation systems and equipment automation. Oh I also do websites, primarily internal banking but I also add store fronts a processing to exiting websites.

Let’s see, I’m an active member of the Planetary Society. (My REAL name is on a DVD on Mars and on the way to Pluto on New Horizons.) I participate in SETI@home, EINSTEIN@home. I also have interests in Astronomy, Geology, Robotics, Math and Physics. Does that sound Nerdy enough?

BTW, I don’t hang out with most people my age either1 LOL

AZiffle

81. Wavatar Arthur T. Murray Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 3:43 pm

They say that Mentifex is the first-place and second-place “World’s Most Annoying Nerd.”

82. Wavatar Roger Jollie Says:
      March 31st, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I took the NERD test and scored 97%.

83. Wavatar mohs68 Says:
      April 1st, 2010 at 8:55 am

1. it’s geekiness, not geekness. sheesh.
      2. as a self-described dork, I disagree.
      3. I would still buy a t-shirt.

84. Wavatar Alli Says:
      April 1st, 2010 at 9:34 am

Suck it, NERDS!

85. Wavatar Tony Huynh Says:
      April 1st, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Great work on the diagram. Worth 5 minutes of my time.

86. Wavatar jardenberg kommenterar – 2010-04-02 | jardenberg unedited Says:
      April 2nd, 2010 at 1:31 am

87. Wavatar CCT#258: Tee Time – 206.222.2428 | Technorama Says:
      April 2nd, 2010 at 5:18 am

[...] FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram : http://www.greatwhitesnark.com/2010/03/25/difference-between-nerd-dork-and-geek-explained-in-a-venn-... [...]

88. Wavatar How to Identify a Geek, Nerd, or Dweeb | Lunar Policy Says:
      April 2nd, 2010 at 5:33 am

[...] The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram [...]

89. Wavatar yankancuch Says:
      April 2nd, 2010 at 6:31 am

I think this diagram should be revised accordingly:

Geek: understands venn diagrams
      Dork: enjoys venn diagrams
      Dweeb: makes venn diagrams

90. Wavatar The Geek/Nerd/Dork/Dweeb Venn Diagram « Wongturn’s Blog Says:
      April 2nd, 2010 at 1:00 pm

[...] FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram [greatwhitesnark] [...]

91. Wavatar The Difference between Nerd, Dork and Geek | GordonKelly.com Says:
      April 3rd, 2010 at 5:19 pm

[...] a Comment ShareAll credit to Great White Shark for explaining this age old argument in brilliant Venn diagram. Hats off and I’d suggest [...]

92. Wavatar Nerd, Dork, Geek: What’s the Difference? | The Incidental Economist Says:
      April 4th, 2010 at 6:29 am

[...] Great White Snark provides a totally necessary and welcome diagram (h/t RH). [...]

93. Wavatar FINALLY: The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram Says:
      April 5th, 2010 at 8:40 am

[...] The Difference between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram http://www.greatwhitesnark.com/2010/…-venn-diagram/ Sounds about right. Reply With Quote   + Reply to Thread [...]

94. Wavatar Current Geek Weekly 03: “Dogus Interuptus” « Current Geek! Says:
      April 5th, 2010 at 8:47 am

[...] talk geek vs dork vs nerd, gaming in the 4th dimension , force feedback suits, DNA hacking, the people’s view of mars, [...]

95. Wavatar stay_chill Says:
      April 6th, 2010 at 12:38 am

relax, guys! whatever you may be, it’s all good! labels mean nothing… stay true!

96. Wavatar Marge Says:
      April 6th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Boy….I thought dork referred to a highly favored part of the male anatomy?????

97. Wavatar Mauricio Says:
      April 7th, 2010 at 10:23 am

I’m definitely a geek. Haha.

98. Wavatar Misclassified Dweeb Says:
      April 7th, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Greetings. Your methodology is lacking. Clearly, no one would self-identify as a “dweeb”. In order to correct for this gross miscalculation, you must flip the placement of dweeb and nerd.

x = (-b +/- SQUAREROOT(b^2 – 4ac))/2a

TAKE THAT SUCKAS!

99. Wavatar Gorgonzola Says:
      April 7th, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Wow, I still don’t fit in! I think I am a Dweork!

What NOW???!

100. Wavatar Five Cool Things « Zebra Sounds Says:
      April 9th, 2010 at 12:05 am

[...] This diagram proves I am, as I suspected, a dork. (But striving to be an adorkable one.) [...]

101. Wavatar SuspicionsConfirmed Says:
      April 9th, 2010 at 12:10 pm

@Gorgonzola

A “dweork” would be a nerd, but since you don’t understand the diagram, you’d be classified as a dork.

102. Wavatar none of the above Says:
      April 10th, 2010 at 10:04 am

So . . . was it a dork, dweeb, nerd or geek who came up with this model?!??!

103. Wavatar Crimson Wife Says:
      April 10th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

So then what’s a “brain”?

104. Wavatar Slygrrr Says:
      April 11th, 2010 at 8:28 am

Finally, I understand myself. Thanks for sharing.

105. Wavatar Acrobat » The power of Venn diagrams Says:
      April 13th, 2010 at 2:38 am

[...] this wonderful explanation of the differences between being a geek, a nerd and a dork comes the best use of a Venn diagram that I’ve seen in a very long time: from [...]

106. Wavatar HP Says:
      April 13th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Actually had something similar to this here

No diagram though.

107. Wavatar The Difference Between Nerd, Dork, and Geek Explained by a Venn Diagram | Trapdoor Books Says:
      April 21st, 2010 at 8:34 am

[...] I have seen this one before, one of our astute readers sent this in from Great White Snark.  It is a Venn diagram showing the difference between geeks, dorks and nerds.  A light-hearted [...]

108. Wavatar Science Matters Says:
      April 26th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

A friend posted this post on their facebook. What a great idea to do a Venn diagram! We published a survey of our academic staff as to what they saw the differences are between a geek and a nerd and if you’d like to see their responses, try http://sciencematters.unimelb.edu.au/2010/01/vox-pop-what-is-the-difference-between-a-geek-and-a-nerd/
      I will have to update our blog to add you (as soon as the pile of other work is complete!)

109. Wavatar Player Says:
      May 3rd, 2010 at 8:07 am

And what do you call the people who care / obsess about these distinctions and definitions?

110. Wavatar walker Says:
      May 4th, 2010 at 1:30 am

The way we defined it in grad school was that geeks are nerds who like math/computers. Hence I get to be both. I like that.

111. Wavatar Geek #42 Says:
      May 4th, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Shouldn’t we have used colors 0xff00ff instead of 0xfd93f6, 0xffff00 instead of 0xfbff58, and 0x00ffff instead of 0x9bfcfd for the Venn diagram? Or, even better, 0xff0000, 0x00ff00, and 0x0000ff!

112. Wavatar Bob the Chef Says:
      May 7th, 2010 at 8:26 am

113. Wavatar Patricia Says:
      June 30th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I LOVE this Venn diagram. I’m interested to know who I would contact to use the idea for a T-shirt design or poster design or even just a blog entry about it. I have a couple of ideas for it, but I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes here. I would love to know the history behind it.

114. Wavatar Gene Says:
      July 14th, 2010 at 5:14 am

I think the reason these terms are always so confused is because those who lack intelligence never think so. No one wants to be a dork, but unfortunately, many are. If you have “some” intelligence, you’d either a dork or simply not on this chart.

You know if you belong on the chart, but only the non-dorks will be able to categorize you.

115. Wavatar Gene Says:
      July 14th, 2010 at 5:20 am

“One should aim at pure intelligence. Obsession and social ineptitude are detriments pointing to a lack of intelligence. Meaning, by virtue of privatio boni, the axis of intelligence points towards perfection, while anything tending away from it is imperfect, a privation.”

You’re thinking about the diagram all the wrong way. Essentially, the “intelligence” circle is inclusive, where “socially inept” is more of the lack of social skill (which one persuing intelligence would be) and obsession could be seen as the lack of moderation.

So essentially, one who forsakes that which is social and that which is well-rounded, becomes purely intelligence based, or a nerd. Nerd, Geek, and Dweed (by this diagram) should all be considered positive, because they contain intelligence but simply harness it in different ways. Perhaps “True nerds” would have to be in the Nerd category, to fully forsake the world and to become an expert.

As long as you’re not a dork, who cares though.

116. Wavatar joe Says:
      July 22nd, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I guess I’m a geek.

117. Wavatar Barb @ 1 Sentence Diary Says:
      July 22nd, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I’m not sure I completely agree with this diagram. But I did enjoy thinking about it! Which, I suppose, makes me a nerd as well. But that’s OK, because I embrace my inner nerdiness!

118. Wavatar Jason Stockmann Says:
      July 26th, 2010 at 11:05 am

This would be more accurately depicted as cube, with each of the three axes representing the degree of intelligence, obsession, and social ineptitude. One vertex would be chosen as the origin, representing a “healthy control” individual (whatever that is). Extreme outliers would then reside on each of the 7 remaining vertices.

Nerds, dorks, geeks, and dweebs would then each occupy a blob of space within the cube, with the paradigmatic individuals residing at each of the 4 vertices that combine excursions in more than one coordinate (i.e., not the vertex for pure “obsession” with no component of the other two qualities).

119. Wavatar Geeks vs Nerds Says:
      August 6th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

So according to the diagram, a geek is a socially apt nerd :)

Here’s my 2 cents. I always thought nerds were good and things like mathematics and physics, and eventually became the guys who invent stuff.

Geeks on the other hand might know everything about the newest tech (to the point of obsession), but they are users – not inventors.

120. Wavatar Must.. stop… with all the diagrams « Insert motd here Says:
      August 14th, 2010 at 11:23 pm

[...] ok, just one more *big [...]

121. Wavatar Nerds vs Geeks Says:
      September 6th, 2010 at 11:38 am

I agree with: Geeks vs Nerds Says:
      August 6th, 2010 at 4:55 pm
      So according to the diagram, a geek is a socially apt nerd :)

YOU HAVE GEEKS AND NERDS THE WRONG WAY AROUND

122. Wavatar The Golden Lining: How To Laugh In 5 Minutes Or Less Everyday Bright Says:
      September 10th, 2010 at 5:19 am

[...] wonder if the guy who called you a dork was using the term correctly?  Check out this awesome Venn Diagram to discover if you are actually a Dweeb, Geek, or Nerd instead.  (I’m a geek, thank you very [...]

123. Wavatar Gweeky Derd Says:
      September 16th, 2010 at 11:05 am

When I was growing up in the midwest (high school class of ’74) ‘dweeb’ was rarely used. I think when it was used, it was to add emphasis to what would have been ‘dork’… I dunno … kind of a super-dork. I would just remove dweeb. Also, I support Geek #42′s color recommendations ;-)

124. Wavatar Another Geek Says:
      September 18th, 2010 at 2:01 am

After somewhat skimming through the comments, I have two comments of my own to make.

First, there are obviously varying definitions of these terms. We need an industry standard in place, whether this one or another.

Second, even among those who agree and accept this as a starting place for an industry standard, there is a lot of disagreement about the specific qualities that make a geek, nerd, dork, etc. Things not listed here like “diversify vs specialize” and “love to learn and get fired up about botany.” However, although the types of people here love to categorize and define, remember that this diagram is for the lay person, and isn’t meant as an exact definition. It’s simply an easier way to explain that you, indeed, are NOT a dork! Or whichever you were most recently mistakenly called.

125. Wavatar Heather Says:
      September 27th, 2010 at 6:15 am

Where’s the spot for people who are smart and just weird? I don’t think I’m socially inept or obsessive, but I am kind of smart. And I’m weird.

Alas. Left out again. It’s like high school all over again. *Sigh.*

126. Wavatar Ed Says:
      October 17th, 2010 at 2:07 am

“Stop hanging out with people from the 1950s.”

Hey, I’m from the early ’50′s and I consider myself a NERD!! Just sayin’

127. Wavatar Jules Says:
      October 17th, 2010 at 7:11 am

Your chart would suggest that Nerds are the perfect combination. AE Nerds may be shy yet friendly, obsessed but not to the point of craziness, and intelligent but not to the point where you couldn’t understand what they say. I agree. I am definitly a NERD with a bit of geek. Nerds Rule!

128. Wavatar How to Build a House Says:
      October 18th, 2010 at 2:05 am

This was exactly what I was trying to explain to my brother last night! I feel vindicated!

129. Wavatar Rod Says:
      October 18th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Some comments:
      1. 100 FB friends and 300 Twitter followers won’t make you a Social person (so you may be a nerd after all.
      2. If you understand the graph and care to comment, chances are you are in the group.
      3. If you think an athlete is a geek, you are not on this list.. well maybe you are a dork (so is the athlete)
      4. “Umm, there are four in your diagram” but the title say that we are concentrating on just tree. You’re welcome (dork?)

130. Wavatar HIPSTERS - HIPSTERS vs. vampires part 15 Says:
      December 1st, 2010 at 12:09 am

[...] In case you’re still confused about the nerd/geek thing, here’s a very helpful diagram: Click here! [...]

131. Wavatar Nerd vs. Geek (full episode) | A Way with Words Says:
      December 13th, 2010 at 3:50 pm

[...] professor of popular culture wants to talk about it. Here’s the a Metafilter thread and a Venn diagram about the [...]

132. Wavatar Cody Says:
      December 17th, 2010 at 7:04 pm

thats funny, where is HERMIT on this diagram? lol

133. Wavatar pete Says:
      February 17th, 2011 at 1:15 pm

someone should make also diagram like this for – sexy, hot, good looking, etc

Comments