WonderCon 2010 Costume Gallery – Part 1 [Cosplay]

I heard some speculation that 2010’s WonderCon costumes would feature a lot of Black Widow (of Scarlett Johansson in tight black leather in Iron Man 2 fame), Kick-Ass, and Airbender cosplay in honor of this summer’s comic book movie slate.

But not so much. Instead, the costumes at WonderCon 2010 featured a lot of the usual: lots of creativity, impressive effort, and often-tragic use of spandex.

New challenge to myself this year: name as many of the costumes, as possible. Feel free to correct/help/judge me in the comments.

Street Fighter Costumes
Cammy and Chun-Li costumes from Street Fighter. I’m showing you this one first to lull you into a false sense of security.

Venture Bros Costumes
Henchman 21 and a crossplay Monarch (?) costume from The Venture Bros. I’m not 100% on my Venture Bros. knowledge, so help me out, here.

Zatanna Costume
Zatanna costume. Good effort overall, but some better coverage of the pelvic area next time would be neat. Just saying. Respect the spandex, and it will respect you.

Wonder Woman Costume
Wonder Woman, Black Canary, and Green Lantern costumes. From left to right, notice how you get increasing degrees of indifference.

Werewolf Costume
Werewolf costume. Apparently not scary enough.

Tusken Raider Costume
Tusken Raider Queen costume. So cool. So original. So entirely-hand-made. So not sure if this fits in existing Star Wars canon.

TMNT Costume
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume. Extra points for bulbosity. Bulbousness? Being round and big.

TF2 Soldier Costume
Team Fortress 2 Soldier costume. Spot-on crossplay; she pretty much nailed the character in spite of not being a stocky, grizzled dude.

TF2 Scout Costume
Team Fortress 2 Scout costume. Also nailed the character, but had the benefit of being a dude.

Sub Zero Costume
Sub-Zero costume from Mortal Kombat. Shook my hand after I took his picture. That’s a first.

Stormtrooper Costume
Custom Stormtrooper costume. I refuse to take photos of dime-a-dozen Stormtrooper costumes and variants, unless they’re something really special. So congrats to this guy for winning my approval and stuff.

Storm Costume
X-Men Storm costume. Way too happy to be in character, but excellent costume, nonetheless.

Star Trek Costume
Star Trek and “Power Rangers parody” costumes. Isn’t Power Rangers a parody of a parody of itself, already?

Solid Snake Costume
Solid Snake costume from Metal Gear Solid. Good costume. Not funny.

Snow White Costume
Snow White costume. Handmade. Great likeness. Super not funny.

Silk Spectre II Costume
Silk Spectre II costume from Watchmen. Not-at-all-tragic use of spandex. [applauding]

Silk Spectre Costume
Silk Spectre costume. You haters of the Watchmen movie really need to focus on all the good things that it gave us.

Scarecrow Costume
Scarecrow costume. Don’t underestimate the cosplaying ingenuity required for wearing a brown suit and a potato sack with cut-out eyeholes.

Find sexy superhero costumes on Ebay

Enjoy this post? Subscribe to Great White Snark by email or by RSS.

• Burke April 5, 2010, 1:53 pm

The girl in The Venture Bros. picture is Dr. Girlfriend (Monarch’s wife).

• Burke April 5, 2010, 1:54 pm

well, now Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. :)

• Daniora April 5, 2010, 1:55 pm

I believe the female Monarch is actually “Dr. Mrs. The Monarch” aka Dr. girlfriend once she marries the Monarch.

• Movie Meg April 5, 2010, 2:04 pm

Whoa, that Silk Spectre costume is great!

Personally, I like this Scout better *cough*me*cough*, despite lacking the being-a-dude benefit.

• Great White Snark April 5, 2010, 2:05 pm

Very cool, Meg. Crossplay is where it’s at.

• Phuul April 5, 2010, 3:26 pm

I’m pretty certain that the “Stormtrooper” is really a Mandalorian. That’s based on the outfit and the fact I’ve been playing too much KotoR II lately.

• Animal Trash April 5, 2010, 6:04 pm

We met Sub Zero too!

Here’s the video of his backflip at Wondercon April 3rd 2010!

• Andrew April 5, 2010, 6:50 pm

People sometimes ask me why I enjoy going to geeky conventions, and usually in costume no less. They always underestimate the number of hot girls willing to show in wearing next to nothing playing their favorite characters.

• Meghan April 5, 2010, 7:32 pm

Pretty sure your TMNT is actually the Daniel the turtle from the cartoon Supa Pirate Booty Hunt (http://www.supapiratebootyhunt.com/).

• Mike A. April 6, 2010, 10:32 am

That is not a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, it’s the turtle from those “Can you draw me?” art school commercials. He even has the little pirate hat(though it’s not easy to see here.

• Maia April 6, 2010, 1:36 pm

Hey! that’s not a TMNT! That’s Daniel the Turtle from the animated series Supa Pirate Booty Hunt :)
    Check out the show at their website http://www.supapiratebootyhunt.com it’s awesome. CHECK IT please.

• Amy April 6, 2010, 1:42 pm

That;s not a TMNT, thats Daniel the Turtle from Supa Pirate Booty Hunt the animated series. http://www.supapiratebootyhunt.com

• Mad Beanz April 6, 2010, 2:51 pm

Yep! That is definitely Daniel the turtle from Supa Pirate Booty Hunt. Those other celebrity turtles just wish they were as cute as him!

• CSK April 6, 2010, 3:27 pm

“Hey thats not a TMNT, thats Daniel the Turtle from Supa Pirate Booty Hunt the animated series. Everyone check out the show at their website http://www.supapiratebootyhunt.com

• Rob April 6, 2010, 4:25 pm

Turtle is from SupaPirateBootyHunt. NOT TMNT!!!

• Paul April 6, 2010, 5:11 pm

Your lack of knowledge on some of these costumes has me suspecting they are traps for the unwary nerd to get all angry at you not knowing what they are. Custom stormtrooper? He’s a custom Mandalorian bounty hunter, you sneaky devil!

• Great White Snark April 6, 2010, 6:35 pm

Paul, you know how indifferent I am to the Star Wars expanded universe. It’s all painted Clone Trooper costumes to me.

• doubledumbassonyou April 8, 2010, 9:37 am

GWS, that’s not Monarch crossplay … it’s actually Mrs. Dr. Girlfriend. Dr. Girlfriend married the Monarch and that’s her new costume.

• MD April 11, 2010, 12:53 pm

WonderCon Snow White not funny? I somehow got her to flip me off…..

More costumed nonsense in part 1…