In Search of a Steam-Powered Treadmill: Steampunk Batman Costume [Cosplay]

Looking a little paunchy there, Steampunk Batman.

Must be all the fish ‘n chips in that Victorian diet of yours.

Steampunk Batman Costume

Via Steampunk Aficionado, who doesn’t need to be an aficionado of obesity humor to know a lazy fat joke when he sees one.

Find steampunk cosplay accessories on Ebay

• ThePirateStar September 13, 2010, 12:12 pm

I’d hit it.

• JoyfulAnn September 13, 2010, 4:03 pm

I don’t think he looks paunchy, looks pretty sexy to me. Maybe it just looks paunchy to you because the tight belt is over his loose fitting grey steam punk tunic thing. I think wearing the big cape over the already loose tunic thing is maybe too much layering, though I don’t know if it would feel like batman without the cape.

• Great White Snark September 13, 2010, 4:47 pm

Yeah, it’s too bad he can’t fight crime with his sexy paunch.

• Kateryna Fury September 14, 2010, 10:51 am

I think this is an Elseworld’s costume. Batman by Gaslight.

• BBostick September 25, 2010, 8:34 am

I concur with Fury, it definitely looks inspired by Gotham by Gaslight, a Mike Mignola book from 89. It actually predated the Elseworlds stuff, but is usually considered the first one. The cape at least looks pretty dead on.

Batman in that book was definitely not what you would call ripped.

• VictorianBats January 8, 2011, 5:33 pm

Yeah, that was me. I can assure you, I’m not overweight, but rather, as JoyfulAnn pointed out, I had on way too many layers. If I resurrect the costume this year, I plan to cut back on some of the fabric.
    And yes Kateryna Fury–my inspiration was “Gotham by Gaslight.” You were right on the money.

• Kat Fury January 9, 2011, 9:08 pm

VictorianBats, if I ever meet you in person I am going to either bite you (I do that, can’t explain it I just bite random batmen), kidnap you and store you with my other action figures, or just squee and insist on pictures.